Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soft Touch Car Wash OK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure this subject has been discussed, but I can't find a thread. Anyhow, I'm a brand new Tesla owner (Model 3). I live in San Diego and we have Soapy Joe's Car Wash - a soft-touch only system. I've had no problems with my Honda CR-V showing any cosmetic damage on the paint and want to know if anyone has used it for their Tesla, or any other soft-touch car wash? My car is the Midnight Silver. Thanks so much!

There are lots of discussions on car washing, including the car manual (which says “Hand ash”). Basic issues seem to be charge port door opening and being torn off(rare), scratches in paint, difficulty putting car in Neutral, pressure washing dangers (recycled dirt in water, too much power from sprayer) car wash products and hand washing suggestions.

Searching the forum on these topics will give you plenty of free advice...

My bias...Car Care, exterior and interior and PPF

I have midnight silver as well. If I can’t hand wash I ensure I go to only touch free car washes and pay for the cheapest one(without all the chemicals). This has worked well so far. I do have Xpel ppf on the front third of the car though

Do what you want, but I use a foam cannon with pink soap and ONR, microfiber wash mit, and 2 step rinse buckets (one and then another). and I can still see love marks on my car. Granted they are not horrible and will be removed when I polish. Just depends on how picky you are :)

I'm sure this subject has been discussed, but I can't find a thread. Anyhow, I'm a brand new Tesla owner (Model 3). I live in San Diego and we have Soapy Joe's Car Wash - a soft-touch only system. I've had no problems with my Honda CR-V showing any cosmetic damage on the paint and want to know if anyone has used it for their Tesla, or any other soft-touch car wash? My car is the Midnight Silver. Thanks so much!

@Carol525 Hi, I'm also in SD and use Soapy Joe's for my other vehicles. Just now I got the MYLR and wondering about this same question. May I ask if you did end up using Soap Joe's and after 4 years since your OP whether you have seen any damage? Thank you for your kind update.

@Carol525 Hi, I'm also in SD and use Soapy Joe's for my other vehicles. Just now I got the MYLR and wondering about this same question. May I ask if you did end up using Soap Joe's and after 4 years since your OP whether you have seen any damage? Thank you for your kind update.
I never took my M3 to Soapy Joe's but a couple of times I went to M Import Car Wash in Spring Valley. Now, I use ONR (Optimum No Rinse) and a few microfiber towels to wash my car myself & I love it! I use it on everything - car body, all glass, mirrors, interior, seats, etc. I sold my M3 2 months ago & got a MYLR also! :) Do you know about the Official Tesla Owners San Diego? I don't know if I can give links here but website is sandiegoteslaclubdotcom