Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar City panel system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just moved into a house with a owned Solar City ~9KW solar installation. The previous owner left behind Solar City home gateway (model# GWY10). Its a small flat black box with no words on it. It looks like a square drink coaster. I plugged it into my router and after a while all the red lights turned off. I tried connecting to it (via http at 192.168.x.x) but it refused connection. I assume its working because it appears to be uploading about 1MB/day according to my router. What do I do now ? Is there a way to view the info from this device?

I just moved into a house with a owned Solar City ~9KW solar installation. The previous owner left behind Solar City home gateway (model# GWY10). Its a small flat black box with no words on it. It looks like a square drink coaster. I plugged it into my router and after a while all the red lights turned off. I tried connecting to it (via http at 192.168.x.x) but it refused connection. I assume its working because it appears to be uploading about 1MB/day according to my router. What do I do now ? Is there a way to view the info from this device?

Just a WAG--my 2013 SolarCity 16 kW (64 panel) PV system has 4 SolarEdge inverters. They have Zigbee communications gear inside. I was provided with a small (like 3x3x1") box to connect to Ethernet/Internet. This is a Zigbee-to-internet communicator. The data flows through SolarEdge servers and to Tesla. You should be able to use your iPhone/Android Tesla app to see your PV system output (global, additive) assuming your SolarCity/Tesla PV system is added to your Tesla account. Call the Tesla Energy support line and dial your way through the phone tree to get support for an existing solar system. Have the inverter model/serial numbers available. While on the phone, get the Tesla rep to allow you full SolarEdge access. You will get a username/account for SolarEdge. You then log into SolarEdge and set up your account. If the inverters and system have been provisioned properly, you see somewhat more granular information on your system. You can also use the SolarEdge iPhone/Android app to monitor your system.

And for extra credit, once all of the above is working, call SolarEdge and ask them to let you see all of your system's data. Then you can see panel specific info (output, etc) and monitor things in greater detail.

Nope no way for you to see anything from that specific device, but you should be able to contact tesla and provide them with some info proving you bought the home, and get some info out of the tesla app.

Just a WAG--my 2013 SolarCity 16 kW (64 panel) PV system has 4 SolarEdge inverters. They have Zigbee communications gear inside. I was provided with a small (like 3x3x1") box to connect to Ethernet/Internet. This is a Zigbee-to-internet communicator. The data flows through SolarEdge servers and to Tesla. You should be able to use your iPhone/Android Tesla app to see your PV system output (global, additive) assuming your SolarCity/Tesla PV system is added to your Tesla account. Call the Tesla Energy support line and dial your way through the phone tree to get support for an existing solar system. Have the inverter model/serial numbers available. While on the phone, get the Tesla rep to allow you full SolarEdge access. You will get a username/account for SolarEdge. You then log into SolarEdge and set up your account. If the inverters and system have been provisioned properly, you see somewhat more granular information on your system. You can also use the SolarEdge iPhone/Android app to monitor your system.

And for extra credit, once all of the above is working, call SolarEdge and ask them to let you see all of your system's data. Then you can see panel specific info (output, etc) and monitor things in greater detail.

Looks like I have a pair of Delta inverters (Solivia 6.6). They both have a black antenna sticking out the bottom. I assume this is for a Zigbee connection to the black Solar City gateway (??) I will call Tesla and see what happens. Thanks !

Looks like I have a pair of Delta inverters (Solivia 6.6). They both have a black antenna sticking out the bottom. I assume this is for a Zigbee connection to the black Solar City gateway (??) I will call Tesla and see what happens. Thanks !

Yeah thats likely what they are (connection to the zigbee gateway, which is the little black box). Unfortunately that thing doesnt even present a web interface. The tesla app doesnt provide that much information either in solar only installs, especially if they did not install the neurio device which is common for solar only installs, but there should be some process in getting that system assigned to you instead of the previous owner, allowing you to create a login for the tesla account.

Might take some patience though, tesla isnt "fast" about things like this sometimes lol