Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar production down after windstorm?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 14.7kW system with two Powerwalls that came online July 2022 (installed by Tesla). Everything had been working awesome. In the summer I could charge a model 3 , fill the Powerwalls, and send energy to the grid. On Jan 1, 2023, I produced 24-30 kWh with a peak of 4.5kW. It persisted like that through the early storms this year, but after the windstorm the night of Jan 9 I am only hitting peaks of 1.5-1.9 kW and roughly 10kWh total on a sunny day. Multiple calls and text chats with Tesla and finally got someone to believe me (literally arguing with me that it was fine, just winter, could have been cloudy etc.). Today they told me "one of the inverters was bad" and it was escalated to a tier 2 review to see "if they could fix it remotely or needed to send a technician". I've done the resets they have asked to no avail. Has anyone had a similar experience or have any advice?

A windstorm would not cause me to think of an inverter failure first, but that's me. I would keep calling to keep it top of mind on their side. They will say Tier 2 has a minimum of 7-10 working days for a turnaround, but calling is almost the only way to find out if they have replied to Tier 1.

Good luck!

All the best,

BG

I have a 14.7kW system with two Powerwalls that came online July 2022 (installed by Tesla). Everything had been working awesome. In the summer I could charge a model 3 , fill the Powerwalls, and send energy to the grid. On Jan 1, 2023, I produced 24-30 kWh with a peak of 4.5kW. It persisted like that through the early storms this year, but after the windstorm the night of Jan 9 I am only hitting peaks of 1.5-1.9 kW and roughly 10kWh total on a sunny day. Multiple calls and text chats with Tesla and finally got someone to believe me (literally arguing with me that it was fine, just winter, could have been cloudy etc.). Today they told me "one of the inverters was bad" and it was escalated to a tier 2 review to see "if they could fix it remotely or needed to send a technician". I've done the resets they have asked to no avail. Has anyone had a similar experience or have any advice?
Tesla will address and fix your issue if need be. I've had my inverter replaced once and all of my panels replaced by Tesla under my contract. I have no beef with service from Tesla. One of the best decisions I've made out of marrying my spouse of now 41 years! (She made me say that and I've complied since Valentines day is just around the corner)