Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry for the newbie question about charging to 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks!

I apologize for such a basic question and please feel free to point me to a thread, but, after reading I want to get a better feel for charging to 100%.

I ran into a range problem when I saw my golf coach this week. In the future i will need to charge to 100% to see him.

I am also Santa Barbara bound next week and would like to leave my house fully charged.

Is the basic idea about charging to 100% to make sure you do not let the battery linger there too long?

If so, does it turn into a guess on when to start charging so you hit 100% near the time you need to leave?

Also. I have a 70D with a 14-50 charger. Any idea how long it would take to charge from 90 - 100 % ?

Thanks!

Hey folks!

Is the basic idea about charging to 100% to make sure you do not let the battery linger there too long?

If so, does it turn into a guess on when to start charging so you hit 100% near the time you need to leave?

Also. I have a 70D with a 14-50 charger. Any idea how long it would take to charge from 90 - 100% ?

Thanks!

You're pretty much correct on both points.

Charge the car to 100% when you need the range, but you generally don't want to leave it at 100% for an extended period of time. The real killer is running the battery down to zero and letting it sit there for a while.

What I've heard people suggest is that you charge the car to 90% over night, then when you wake up in the morning (or about an hour before you leave for a trip) set the car to charge to 100%. Other than that it's basically a guessing game as to what time to start the charge.

I would assume it would be less than an hour for the car to go 90% to 100% on a 14-50. I think it adds about half a mile of range per minute of charging.

A good and important question. Spacela is completely correct. Expect to charge at the rate of 23-28 mi/hr and less on a 14-50 outlet for the last 10%. For my P85+, that last 10% is approx 2 hours because the battery tapers down the charge rate as the battery reaches full capacity.

There are quite a few threads about charging here that you might want to look through. Well worth taking a look. It takes a bit of time to get comfortable with charging because it is so different than filling your car with gas. You'll figure it out. My rule of thumb is to not let it sit for more than an hour at full charge. But longer won't kill the battery or anything. Only use 100% when you need it. Otherwise, always charge to the daily setting and you will be fine.