Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound from my Model S85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if this is normal or not? I have an S85 (early production, 2012) with only 26K miles on it. On most days especially when it is cooler I get a pretty loud sound especially when it is idle or I am backing out of the garage. The sound is reminiscent of a loud cough or thump and it feels like it is coming from the battery as it is warming up. Is this normal for this vintage or should I take it in to a SC? The issue is that it does not happen all the time but I especially notice it when the car is first turned on in the morning. Any thoughts?

Hi Lefty,

If the noise involves turning your steering to either extreme left or right,
you might want to check out the "Power Steering falling apart" thread.
I apologize that I do not know how to supply a link to that thread.
If you do a search on those words in the "S" forum you will find a long and informative thread.

Good luck, Shawn

Hi Lefty,

If the noise involves turning your steering to either extreme left or right,
you might want to check out the "Power Steering falling apart" thread.
I apologize that I do not know how to supply a link to that thread.
If you do a search on those words in the "S" forum you will find a long and informative thread.

Good luck, Shawn
Thanks, no the noise does not involve turning the steering thankfully, it is just present mostly when I drive at low speeds. I will just take it to the SC but wanted to check with the forum and be educated before I did that. Thanks again.

Hi Lefty,

There has to be an air compressor somewhere if you have the air suspension...
The A/C compressor is up front too.
I read somewhere here that they can be re-positioned slightly to eliminate the noise,
if they are making the noise...

They will fix it...

Hi Lefty,

There has to be an air compressor somewhere if you have the air suspension...
The A/C compressor is up front too.
I read somewhere here that they can be re-positioned slightly to eliminate the noise,
if they are making the noise...

They will fix it...
Ok cool, good to know, yes I do have air susp so maybe that might be the issue..