Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spaceship/whirling RDU noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NV Ray

Sep 7, 2020
2012 Signature P85, probably original RDU. Purchased from original owner. As depicted in the video "spaceship" sound upon acceleation. That sounds stops immediately when you take you foot off the accelerator. Lastly, whirling sound depicted in video emanating from RDU when coming to stop. Video "says a thousand words".

Best theory I've heard so far is that original RDU's bearings used stainless steel balls, which are conductive and over time can develop pitting due to arcing through the bearing. That would explain the spaceship sound since the sound is absent once let off on the accelerator.

Later RDUs (~2015 or newer), should have ceramic balls in the bearings, which fixed the arcing issue for the most part.

Thoughts? Anyone have similar issue? Thx. @Rossvw

Yep, typical failing early drive unit sound. Had the same on my 2013 P85 twice.
Unless the car has very low milage its probably not the original drive unit. Many failed quite early and were replaced before they had all the issues sorted so will fail again.

Last edited:
Reactions: NV Ray
Familiar sound for me. My standard 85 started making that sound between 65K-92K miles when other things went bad with the DU. I recall the sound was more pronounced between 20-40mph; once above 60mph the road noise and tire noise would overtake the DU noise. Replaced under warranty with the newer ceramic bearings. So far so good but I'll be surprised if I can get another 92K miles out of this reman. Hoping Tesla and/or a 3rd party can make or modify a better DU.

• Informative
Reactions: NV Ray