Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - IM-1 Nova-C Lander - LC-39A - Includes Post Launch Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Off topic, but I had to look it up. I'm aware that it's becoming more common, but thankfully nobody in my world does it. It's called upspeak or uptalk, and it described on Wikipedia as a "high rising terminal". Valley girl speak is often referenced when talking about origins. So I blame Frank Zappa.

It has been said that if you use the HRT technique, there is reduced tendency to be interrupted because people assume that you have more to say. For someone who tends to not make clear, definitive statements and needs to express things with multiple sentences, I can see how this would become a habit. It certainly matches up with the speaking style of the Intuitive Machines Spacecraft Communications controller.
Gag me with a spoon...

Last edited:
IM-1 update

The IM-1 mission Nova-C class lunar lander continues to be in excellent health, and we are preparing for our engine commissioning maneuver.
Following nominal launch vehicle separation, the spacecraft autonomously brought up all sensors and radios. Odysseus listened to the Inertial Measurement Unit to determine attitude rates and activated the Reaction Control System to nullify those attitude rates as designed.
Earlier today, Nova-C’s navigation system rejected star tracker data, but a patch has been sent to the spacecraft, and the star tracker updates have resumed nominal operations.

From IM:

https://twitter.com/Int_Machines/status/1758677812217545020?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet
Over the next eight hours, flight controllers will analyze the engine burn data collected from over 270,000 km away from Earth.

This represents another first for Intuitive Machines, demonstrating one of the critical technologies required to land softly on the surface of the Moon.

The IM-1 mission Nova-C class lunar lander continues to be in excellent health, in a stable orientation and remains on schedule for a lunar landing opportunity on the afternoon of February 22.

Last edited:
It is unclear to me from that IM-1 update statement if the vehicle has completed the TLI maneuver but the video @Grendal linked to above seems to indicate that it has. Here is a screen cap of what the video is showing currently.

IMG_0634.jpeg

Is that lunar lander actually funded by a footwear company? That's kinda cool. Odd. But cool.
It's Columbia Sportswear, an Oregon outdoor company. They are working on insulation material for space vehicles and astronauts:

I live near their headquarters, and wear several clothing items from them (shirts, jackets, shoes). Similar to Patagonia, but a bit less expensive. Nice company. Big employer in the area. Love their products.

• Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc and JB47394
That wasn't in jest. The strobing was making me nauseous
My apologies. I didn’t even notice it, i.e. my visual system could not detect it. As a neurophyisologist I am aware of the dramatic variabilities in human visual perception; I am partially red/green colorblind (technically I am a “strong protan”) and cannot see some colors that almost everyone else can easily perceive. Of course that’s not a health concern like an epilepsy trigger is, it’s just an annoyance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grendal and JB47394
My apologies. I didn’t even notice it, i.e. my visual system could not detect it. As a neurophyisologist I am aware of the dramatic variabilities in human visual perception; I am partially red/green colorblind (technically I am a “strong protan”) and cannot see some colors that almost everyone else can easily perceive. Of course that’s not a health concern like an epilepsy trigger is, it’s just an annoyance.
You might? Find this interesting. During the time of the ancient Greeks, they didn’t have a word for the color Blue. This video talks about this and a whole bunch of other interesting color perception info.

You know those bubble pictures used to determine if you are color blind? My son, who is, can’t make out the number shown on the standard picture but he can on a different one that “normal” people can’t see. Interesting stuff. Anyways, the video:

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal