Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Sentinel 6-Michael Freilich - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: November 21
Launch Window: 1717 GMT (12:17 p.m. EST; 9:17 a.m. PST)
Launch site: SLC-4E, Vandenberg Air Force Base, California
Core Booster Recovery: RTLS
Booster: B1063.1
Fairings: Likely new
Mass: 1440 kg
Orbit: LEO

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the Sentinel 6A, or Jason-CS A, satellite. The satellite is also named Sentinel 6-Michael Freilich in honor of the late director of NASA’s Earth science division. The satellite is a joint mission between the European Space Agency, NASA, NOAA, CNES and Eumetsat to continue the sea level data record previously collected by the Jason series of satellites. Sentinel 6A, built by Airbus Defense and Space and Thales Alenia Space in Europe, will also join the European Commission’s Copernicus Earth observation satellite network.

This will be the 21st launch of the year. This launch will tie the SpaceX launch record of 2018.

Sentinel-6 Mission Summary - Sentinel Online
Missions | Sentinel-6

Last edited:
Check the old vandy launch threads--there's a bit of discussion in some/most/all(?) of them on viewing.

I like providence landing park. Plenty of parking, enough elevation to see across the Lompoc valley to the launcher on the pad, close enough to still see the tower lean back before launch. Down on Ocean is lower in elevation, way closer, and can get super crowded.
So that location is roughly 5 miles farther away from the pad than the popular spot at Hwy 246 and Renwick Ave. Are you able to see the pad and tower without binoculars from Providence Landing Park? I may reconsider my viewing location if you think Providence is the best place to be, especially since this is an RTLS mission.

Are you able to see the pad and tower without binoculars from Providence Landing Park? I may reconsider my viewing location if you think Providence is the best place to be, especially since this is an RTLS mission.

Yeah. I mean, its far away, but yeah you can see it. I wouldn't claim to know the "best" place to view, but it was definitely satisfying for our little group.

New boosters, so many unknowns!

The one that started this whole thing with engine issues was B1062 (the GPS launch). So quite close in the production line... Hmm.

Frankly I’m amazed this kind of thing didn’t happen a lot before now with SpaceX’s penchant for upgrading things for almost each new rocket built. It will be interesting to see what the problem turns out to be.

So this launch and the GPS launch are both on the crucial path for Crew-1 to proceed post-lacquer hiccup.
Am not sure if that makes it more or less likely to stay on schedule...

Weather agreeing, I'd say more. Realistically, with over 90 F9 launches under their belt, SpaceX is on pretty safe ground no matter how you look at it. It's not impossible to still have some oddball problem pop up and bite you on the butt though.

Reactions: e-FTW
0C04383E-CA9D-4257-BB6E-E452D69AF4F4.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW and Grendal