Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Starlink Group 5-7 - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: June 22
Launch Window: 12:17am PDT (3:17am EDT, 07:17am UTC)
Launch site: SLC-4E, Vandenberg Space Force Base, California
Core Booster Recovery: ASDS - OCISLY
Booster: B1075.4
Fairings: Reused - 3rd time each
Mass: 47 v1.5 Starlinks
Orbit: SSO - Polar LEO
Yearly Launch Number: 42

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the 88th group of satellites for SpaceX’s Starlink broadband network, a mission designated Starlink 5-7. The Starlink Group 5-7 mission is headed to the 43º inclination shell of Starlink's second generation constellation. Satellites in this shell will be orbiting Earth in a 540km circular orbit at 43º inclination. This mission will carry 47 satellites into a 320x340km 43º orbit and from there they'll raise their orbits to operational altitude.

1687191760588.png

Last edited:
43° is a bit low on its own, but the 53° shell provides cover. The nice thing about decreasing latitude is that as the orbit's 'sine wave' gets progressively flatter (= more east west) each satellite can spend progressively more % of its orbit in a peak-ish latitude range.

Recent enough data (2018):

pop-by-lat.png

As previously discussed ROW is much less relevant for Starlink, but this is useful data all the same. China and India bring the heavy latitudes down.

VC-World-Population-by-Latitude-Full.png

If you dig pixelated graphics and want to see gameboy-like animations on density, get your fix here.

Last edited:
Also, noticed a piece of tape or something came loose in the interstage when the 2nd stage ignited- Hadn't seen that before
I noticed that too. I wonder what the purpose that strip of foil serves?

Also heard the host say that the fairing halves will be recovered by SpaceX vessel “Go Beyond”. That’s a new name to me.

I noticed that too. I wonder what the purpose that strip of foil serves?

We see the top of the booster get hit in the plume of the second stage ignition over a hundred times. I'd bet that is some extra protection for the exhaust. Another possibility is that tape is for some aspect of stage separation. Maybe a shim of some sort....

Reactions: petit_bateau