Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT - CRS-12 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Best continuous "amateur" tracking with 8" telescope:
That was pretty awesome. Great work on audio as well, as callouts were easy to hear, much more than the SpaceX, and even the Nasa one it seems. I know this audio was from the Nasa replay, but still, seemed easier to hear on this video.
Good work overall! Hope this fine gentleman shows up around here. 'grats!

Reactions: arnolddeleon
I noticed it on a previous entry burn as well, but it sure looks like the Eye of Sauron as the Falcon 9 hits the upper atmosphere! The Falcon 9 is evil incarnate, I tell you! :)

View attachment 241514
Naah - nothing like it at in the least. It's Soooo obvious it's one of those goofy one-toothed cartoon troll characters: arms, legs, ears, eyes, peaked forehead and all. See? :

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 4.07.01 PM.png

Nah, heard they will need to eat it right away. ;-)

When they showed Styrofoam container loaded at the last minute in the video, I presume that is where the ice cream and other food treats were?

edit:
Either that or put it in the freezer with the urine samples.:eek:

The ISS has an enormous freezer surrounding them: Space. Getting it in and out of that freezing environment is a bit of a process though...

• Funny
Reactions: Model 3
Here is a video that combines the first stage onboard camera view during descent and landing with the NASA long range view, providing a very interesting comparison.

Can someone please help me understand this? I watched this video over a dozen time and I can't figure where the camera is positioned on the ground in relation to the first stage when MECO happens?

Specifically at 00:36 when the commentator says "Heading towards the ground, miles away from launch pad", we are able to see the engines burning with the rocket oriented away from the camera? How is that possible? I was expecting the orientation of the booster would be horizontal to the ground and the ground camera should see the front/top of the booster (where the 2nd stage used to be) instead of the engines.

Also interestingly during boost back burn the onboard camera which is mounted on top shows no signs of engine burning. I think that is an effect of vaccum and so the flames are all well contained

More on the re-supply...with a focus on that ice cream!

The Best Item In An Astronaut's Care Package? Definitely The Ice Cream

You have to love this quote:

"On the shuttle flights, because they were short, the food was just not all that important," she says. "Most of [the astronauts] took the attitude, 'Oh, it's a two-week camping trip, I'll find something.' "

"Control? I'm going out for an unscheduled EVA. I might be some time."

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo and e-FTW
I watched this video over a dozen time and I can't figure where the camera is positioned on the ground in relation to the first stage when MECO happens?
The ground camera is near the shoreline (like everything at KSC) and the rocket is arcing up and away from the shore.
Specifically at 00:36 when the commentator says "Heading towards the ground, miles away from launch pad", we are able to see the engines burning with the rocket oriented away from the camera? How is that possible?
The rocket was not oriented "away" from the camera, during its return to LZ-1 it comes back towards the camera "rocket end first". See this SpaceX graphic which shows an ASDS landing (could not find a graphic for an LZ landing). Remember the earth is rotating... :)

16892430560_f87dff78c0_o_1.jpg

For RTLS, the boostback burn focuses on the horizontal velocity. It needs to not only arrest the horizontal velocity, but needs to propel it back to land. However, the altitude is still increasing until after the boostback is complete. After that it's mostly just falling out of the sky on a ballistic trajectory with the Entry Burn reducing the vertical velocity to limit atmospheric friction heating.

I just googled a graphic to show this.

D9BdO86.png

For RTLS, the boostback burn focuses on the horizontal velocity. It needs to not only arrest the horizontal velocity, but needs to propel it back to land. However, the altitude is still increasing until after the boostback is complete. After that it's mostly just falling out of the sky on a ballistic trajectory with the Entry Burn reducing the vertical velocity to limit atmospheric friction heating.

I just googled a graphic to show this.

D9BdO86.png
Thank you miimura. This diagram more accurately represents an RTLS trajectory and you can see during boost back burn the business end of the rocket is facing the coast and the engines away from it. I can't fathom where should the camera be to see the engines burning during boost back? Which is what you see at 0:36 in that video.

I am guessing if the trajectory is North east, then perhaps it is well north of Cape? Perhaps 50+ miles from the launch site ?

Thank you miimura. This diagram more accurately represents an RTLS trajectory and you can see during boost back burn the business end of the rocket is facing the coast and the engines away from it. I can't fathom where should the camera be to see the engines burning during boost back? Which is what you see at 0:36 in that video.

I am guessing if the trajectory is North east, then perhaps it is well north of Cape? Perhaps 50+ miles from the launch site ?

The range has quite a few cameras at numerous locations, going up to Ponce Inlet, FL. I'll attach a few frame grabs that show some of the camera sites. They are from the DVD "Ascent - Commemorating Shuttle" (which I highly recommend) in the extras section under "The Cameras of Ascent". Unfortunately the extras aren't available on YouTube.
Ascent Short Range.png
Ascent Medium Range.png
Ascent Long Range.png

Last edited: