Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT - OTV 5 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Sept. 7
Launch window: TBD
Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida
A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the U.S. military’s X-37B, a spaceplane also called the Orbital Test Vehicle, on the program’s fifth mission. The Falcon 9 rocket’s first stage will return to landing at Cape Canaveral a few minutes after liftoff. Delayed from Aug. 28. [July 26]

This launch will use the upgraded Block 4 hardware. RTLS. I expect this webcast will be similar to the NROL-76 webcast and focus wholly on the booster return after MECO and separation.

Boeing X-37 - Wikipedia
X-37B: The Air Force's Mysterious Space Plane

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking about driving down. Any idea about launch window and backup dates?

The military is holding this close to the chest. We only have the date for now. Honestly, that could easily change at the last moment. As soon as I hear a solid date and time I'll post it. The current date is pretty good. I expect they are holding the time frame back because that would give an idea of what orbit they are trying for.

Reactions: Mike1080i
Static fire is planned for September 1st. A little earlier than usual. Probably want to get it in before the holiday weekend.
This is the holiday weekend. I've been on holiday since 2:45PM yesterday (Thursday).

SpaceX launches are almost always on weekends, anyway.

This begets the question: what types of holiday hours do SpaceX employees have? How are they treated with respect to work hours? How much of real life do they know? Do they have time to make families? They should make families; they're generally good gene pool material. No time like the present. They should do it even if they don't have time or money; it's that important.
Static Fire happened today. Successful. Targeting September 7th. Still no launch time as of yet.
Great! And also good that they did do it before the holiday started.

• Funny
Reactions: ccutrer and e-FTW
No window updates yet? I'm planning on heading down for this one. Booster RTLS right?

The Air Force ain't telling. It's still a super secret time frame. As soon as I know, all of you will know. September 7th is pretty solid as long as the weather is good. A definite RTLS. I expect the webcast (if it is allowed) will be a repeat of the NROL-76 launch.

The weather is not looking good according to weather.com:
Thunderstorms
88°-77°
90% of rain
SE 10 mph

So it looks like it will come down to timing with the storm. We don't even know if there is a window for launch or that it will be instantaneous launch.

The Air Force ain't telling. It's still a super secret time frame. As soon as I know, all of you will know. September 7th is pretty solid as long as the weather is good. A definite RTLS. I expect the webcast (if it is allowed) will be a repeat of the NROL-76 launch.

The weather is not looking good according to weather.com:
Thunderstorms
88°-77°
90% of rain
SE 10 mph

So it looks like it will come down to timing with the storm. We don't even know if there is a window for launch or that it will be instantaneous launch.

So Hurricane Irma is on the way. I suspect if they don't get this rocket launched Wednesday they'll have to wait until after the storm passes.

Actually depending on the storm track and severity I wonder if there might be damage to launch facilities? If the rocket and payload are still on Earth when the storm comes, can SpaceX lie it back down and roll it into the shed for safekeeping?

Reactions: Grendal
So Hurricane Irma is on the way. I suspect if they don't get this rocket launched Wednesday they'll have to wait until after the storm passes.

Actually depending on the storm track and severity I wonder if there might be damage to launch facilities? If the rocket and payload are still on Earth when the storm comes, can SpaceX lie it back down and roll it into the shed for safekeeping?

SpaceX can definitely put it back in the hanger. It's what they do every time after a static fire. A strong storm can damage equipment. It happened a few years ago. Otherwise they'll just have to wait out the storm and launch when the weather clears.

• Informative
Reactions: wart
Thank goodness it's not scheduled for four days later. Here are the latest forecast wind conditions at midnight on Sunday 11th:

Weather Forecast Maps

With high tide also right at midnight:
Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 3.18.31 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo and e-FTW
We now have a hint of when the launch can happen. There is a "no fly" rule during launch windows and there is one for 0920 to 1455. So now we know it will be an early afternoon-ish launch.

Yep, the FAA has issued a TFR (Temporary Flight Restriction) for the times listed above, which are in EDT. The details are posted at 7/6523 NOTAM Details. Interestingly, the TFR is only valid for the surface to 18,000 feet, but that's because anyone flying above 18,000 feet is required to be communicating with ATC, so they'll be directing airliners and business jets around the area because they'll be flying under IFR (Instrument Flight Rules).

If you want to search for these TFRs yourself for future launch windows, you can go to the TFR List link on that web site, then select "Type: SPACE OPERATIONS" to see any scheduled TFRs for the continental US. The effective times are listed at the end of the TFR announcement and are given in GMT in the following format: YYMMDDHHMM-YYMMDDHHMM. You'll need to convert GMT into your local time zone.