Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Regulatory Discussion Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hurricane4911

IT Guy From 1980-2013, Retired
Jul 29, 2021
Tampa
Musk a few days ago mentioned expansion of LC 39A to incorporate Starship launches. Word is circulating that NASA & SpaceX are working out an agreement to develop land north of LC 39B (Artemis) and build a second pad for SS, LC 49.

It's amazing what's going on in Boca Chica. But, can Boca Chica's infrastructure support commercial operations? It has a tiny footprint. The cape is for all purposes is a small state complete with road networks, rail & sea access. Plus has it's own airfield. Throw in launching big rockets is their thing. Permitting is minimal.
Converting Phobos and Deimos is necessary, but must be massively time consuming and expensive.

With Musk stating that SS commercial operations begin in 2022 with Starlink v 2.0, how viable is Boca Chica for long term, full scale launch operations? Will Boca Chica serve as a manufacturing/test site only? You can easily barge hardware to the cape.

Last edited:
I agree. I have been to Boca Chica and the foot print is tiny compared to Cape Canaveral. Besides there are plenty of population centers pretty close by such as South Padre Island. The noise pollution from these launches will also be a factor for those high density population areas like Brownsville.

I am guessing it will end up as test launch, R&D and manufacturing facility for SS.

Areas to Consider That You Tube Vidographers Miss About Boca Chica...

• Payload/Starship Processing
Photo below shows the Orbital Processing Facility for the Shuttle Endeavor at it was at the time @ KSC. It is massive all by itself. There was one for each shuttle.

SpaceX plans to begin commercial operations with Starlink V 2.0. From my understanding, these cannot be launched efficently on F9. Hence the stress around Raptor production.

• Infrastructure
The cape has I-95 plus private rail, ship, and airport facilities right on site. Ive never been to Boca, but they use Highway 4, a public road to move hardware. For commercial paying customers, I simply do not see how that's feasible.

• Human Factors
The Cape is firmly ensconced as a spaceport. It's the size of a small state. Permitting and scheduling of launches is infinitely easier in FL.

If you note the projected flight path of S20, the trajectory never crosses US territory. I understand you cannot currently launch over populated areas. Florida, by its location, presents a logistical challenge to place payloads into proper inclinations from Boca.
download.jpeg

Attachments

• End 6.jpg
    End 6.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
• Payload/Starship Processing

Its worth noting that the starship payload is MUCH smaller than the Orbiter. That said, space payloads NEED a cleanroom environment during launcher integration, all the way through encapsulation. Then the encapsulated payload is moved over to the rocket and mated in a non-clean environment. Because Starship is a vertical-only launcher, that means the payload will need to be lifted to the top of some tall integration facility which, at the top, would have a cleanroom environment large enough to expose the payload and fairing volume at the same time. Depending on the frequency of intended launches, more than one of these facilities may be necessary.

Such a facility is not necessarily difficult, but it is necessarily new for either spaceport. One of course could imagine a quadrant of the VAB being converted for this purpose, so its plausible the solution is easier to implement at CCAFS than Boca.

• Infrastructure
The cape has I-95 plus private rail, ship, and airport facilities right on site. Ive never been to Boca, but they use Highway 4, a public road to move hardware. For commercial paying customers, I simply do not see how that's feasible.

Given the historical limit of 5m fairings, space payloads have always reasonably easily been flown to commercial (and occasionally military/state) airfields, and trucked over public highways on both ends of that flight. Its also worth noting that neither public roads nor the largest cargo aircraft (basically, everyone except the US military uses an An-124) are compatible with a significantly larger space payload than 5m, so in the event there's some singular future Starship payload that maximizes its fairing volume, that payload would necessarily need to be shipped in pieces from its production facility to the launch processing facility anyway...and one would assume those pieces would be logiustically compatible with traditional infrastructure.

And of course, in the event its a constellation launch on Starship, the logistics becomes more or less a non-issue.

• Human Factors
The Cape is firmly ensconced as a spaceport. It's the size of a small state. Permitting and scheduling of launches is infinitely easier in FL.

This one is definitely important. The Space Coast is also keen to subsidize in an effort to retain talent/jobs--that's why the Airbus+Oneweb JV set up the production facility there for Oneweb 1.0, Blue Origin is offering up a ton of reconfigurable production space, etc...

It appears that SpaceX has a financial need to begin commercial SS launches next year. I say this because of Musk's recent statement about Raptor 2 production and the inefficiency of launching the next generation of Starlink on F9. They are very well funded plus payments relative to the Artemis program may be rolling in. However, they are spending money like a small country.

NASA and the DoD have say from where their payloads fly. With some level of payload processing, initial Starlink V2 launches can fly from Boca Chica, but IMHO neither agency will permit their payloads to fly from there.

SpaceX's Robert's Road facility north of the Cape has been out of the news for a couple of years. A recent YT video shows a 2x expansion of the facility underway plus sizable land clearing. Also, environmental hearings are set to start after the new year for a new SpaceX pad 49 at KSC. Pad 49 is currently on NASA's Master Plan. Completion of all construction would give SpaceX 4 launch pads in Florida. They also have SLC-40 a few miles south @ CCAFS, a secured military facility.

Last edited:
Today, the FAA announced a delay on the Boca Chica Enironmental Impact Statemrnt until Feb. 28th. The FAA cited a substantial amount of public comment to digest before decision. In short, no SS launches until March.

This is not totally unexpected as this is the way this stuff works. Always has. An extra 2 months to shake out the launch tower, table and fuel farm is not a bad thing. As for the Cape, I'm sure it's full speed ahead on 39-A and approvals for LC 49. Maybe 39A can be ready by EOY.

The bigger question is how does this affect the self imposed requirement of Starlink V2 launches on SS in 2022.

They have been waiting around half a year to see if they can launch. Yea, they started fast but now, seems like bureaucracy is knocking at the door.
I thought the same and had a feeling this is what you were talking about, but if you listen to Elon and follow the development, they really aren't even ready to launch yet. It doesn't seem like this has set them back much at all really.... they just seriously overstated where they were earlier in the year. It may have been that they were going to be less ambitious with the originally scheduled tests, but its evident that, even if they were granted permission to launch tomorrow, they won't be ready for another month or two.

I'm sure the bureaucracy slowed things down, but not on the order of 6 months.... maybe a couple months? Also, don't forget how much longer these tiled versions of Starship and full-fleshed out boosters are taking to make.

Best to remember how quickly they were able to test and iterate their development during the first phase. If for nothing else, that was a successful campaign that I'm not so sure they could have carried out at the Cape. Also, they've gained experience in not just testing, but also building Starship and the launch infrastructure, stuff that will directly translate to the Cape. There's just something to be said for not having to clear everything with NASA. Think about the shear number of pressure tests, wet rehearsals and static fires.... I hate to imagine how long it would have taken to do that on government property. They had a lot more freedom to 'shoot from the hip' on their terms in Texas.

The feeling that SpaceX is going to drop BC as a launch site or for anything else is not going to happen. There may be a level of bureaucracy they have to wade through but it will eventually happen. Florida is coming on line for more launches. Neither will allow for the number of launches that Elon wants to do. Three launches a day would be four days of launches at BC. So there will be more than even Florida needed for launches.

View attachment 769612
Exactly. Boca Chica isn't going anywhere. Hell, even if they weren't allowed to do orbital launches, they could still make boosters/Starships and hop them offshore. Still, short-term, people forget two things.

1) If SpaceX is denied authority to launch, it will trigger a longer assessment. SpaceX won't throw their hands up and surrender. They'll go through that process. It could take years. When its done, they will or won't be able to launch Starships from there. If they aren't, they still may use it for construction/testing via hops. They could still hop Starships/boosters offshore for transport to the Cape. The could still operate an offshore platform that is used for orbital launching, to which Boca Chica made Starships hop. Point being... we have no idea how things will play out, but I highly doubt they'll 'give up' on Boca Chica.

2) People forget that the FAA already cleared SpaceX to launch Falcon 9's and Falcon Heavy's from Boca Chica. Contemplate that for a second.... they already have permission. Does anyone thing that a private space company is going to just give up a launch complex because it can't launch their flagship rocket? I feel like they will hold onto it regardless, if only for future use or to lend to other private companies for the launching of their own rockets. It just seems silly to give up a FAA approved spaceport that already has the certification to launch what is right now the worlds most powerful operational rocket.....

I thought the same and had a feeling this is what you were talking about, but if you listen to Elon and follow the development, they really aren't even ready to launch yet. It doesn't seem like this has set them back much at all really.... they just seriously overstated where they were earlier in the year. It may have been that they were going to be less ambitious with the originally scheduled tests, but its evident that, even if they were granted permission to launch tomorrow, they won't be ready for another month or two.

I'm sure the bureaucracy slowed things down, but not on the order of 6 months.... maybe a couple months? Also, don't forget how much longer these tiled versions of Starship and full-fleshed out boosters are taking to make.

Best to remember how quickly they were able to test and iterate their development during the first phase. If for nothing else, that was a successful campaign that I'm not so sure they could have carried out at the Cape. Also, they've gained experience in not just testing, but also building Starship and the launch infrastructure, stuff that will directly translate to the Cape. There's just something to be said for not having to clear everything with NASA. Think about the shear number of pressure tests, wet rehearsals and static fires.... I hate to imagine how long it would have taken to do that on government property. They had a lot more freedom to 'shoot from the hip' on their terms in Texas.
I think that just as with Berlin GF the Starship delays have nothing to do with paperwork and govt agencies- SpaceX is not ready. Rather EM is displaying a worrisome trend of insinuating regulators are to blame for delays when in fact it his own companies not being ready. Frankly this is beginning to bug me and eventually it is going to bite back. Especially for a entities completely dependent on the good graces of this government and who could never have hoped to achieve what he is doing in either company without the support of the governments, Federal, State, and Local.

I think that just as with Berlin GF
I don't want to take this OT, but wanted to point out that you sneaked in Berlin GF in there with an insinuation that Tesla is not ready to crank out production vehicles even if the approval had come last month. Far from truth. But lets not discuss that in here and muddy this topic tangentially.

Last edited:
I think that just as with Berlin GF the Starship delays have nothing to do with paperwork and govt agencies- SpaceX is not ready. Rather EM is displaying a worrisome trend of insinuating regulators are to blame for delays when in fact it his own companies not being ready. Frankly this is beginning to bug me and eventually it is going to bite back. Especially for a entities completely dependent on the good graces of this government and who could never have hoped to achieve what he is doing in either company without the support of the governments, Federal, State, and Local.
Wrong.

SpaceX is constantly re-organizing their plan based on the readiness of various things, including the readiness of regulatory approval. If they think regulatory approval is not going to be ready by a certain date, they will change their plan accordingly, Elon Musk said as much during the presentation (something like "We try to get hardware ready at the same time as regulatory approval").

If they already had approval last year, then their would have planned differently, for example there's no need to get the chopstick ready, since they had the LR11350 crane which is capable of stacking, the resources spent towards the chopstick could be spent on other areas to speed up more essential stage 0 hardware such as the launch table or tank farm. Same thing with B5, if they have approval, they wouldn't have just abandoned it, instead they'd work to make it ready as backup for B4.

So you don't know they wouldn't have been ready if they had approval last year.

As for Elon Musk's relationship with the government, he has been very graceful towards those in the government that helped/helps him, he thanked NASA, FAA and SpaceForce during his presentation, he said they're honored NASA picked Starship for HLS. Of course SpaceX presenter also thanked FAA and SpaceForce during every one of their launch livestreams. And there's also tweets like this:
So your speculation that Elon Musk somehow doesn't appreciate the government support he's getting is entirely false. And I might also add that it is the duty and responsibility of government, both federal and local, to support companies like SpaceX and Tesla. This is not some charity case, it's what they're elected to do in the first place. Even so, Elon Musk still showered them with thanks all the time.

Wrong.

SpaceX is constantly re-organizing their plan based on the readiness of various things, including the readiness of regulatory approval. If they think regulatory approval is not going to be ready by a certain date, they will change their plan accordingly, Elon Musk said as much during the presentation (something like "We try to get hardware ready at the same time as regulatory approval").

If they already had approval last year, then their would have planned differently, for example there's no need to get the chopstick ready, since they had the LR11350 crane which is capable of stacking, the resources spent towards the chopstick could be spent on other areas to speed up more essential stage 0 hardware such as the launch table or tank farm. Same thing with B5, if they have approval, they wouldn't have just abandoned it, instead they'd work to make it ready as backup for B4.

So you don't know they wouldn't have been ready if they had approval last year.

As for Elon Musk's relationship with the government, he has been very graceful towards those in the government that helped/helps him, he thanked NASA, FAA and SpaceForce during his presentation, he said they're honored NASA picked Starship for HLS. Of course SpaceX presenter also thanked FAA and SpaceForce during every one of their launch livestreams. And there's also tweets like this:
So your speculation that Elon Musk somehow doesn't appreciate the government support he's getting is entirely false. And I might also add that it is the duty and responsibility of government, both federal and local, to support companies like SpaceX and Tesla. This is not some charity case, it's what they're elected to do in the first place. Even so, Elon Musk still showered them with thanks all the time.
I agree w/ the project planning bit. Its worth noting however that there was pretty strong evidence that both SpaceX and NASA were expecting Starship to fly for the first time in the March timeframe as far back as last October. See the image below. While there's no certainty that it was referencing SN20 and B4, most people seem to think this was the case - there's no reason SpaceX would want to put off such data gathering any longer than necessary.

In the end though I dont think Starship is that far ahead of or behind where it would have been had they test launched it back in October. Sure, they'd have that one launch under their belt, but they've had plenty of other work to occupy themselves. If they've been set back some, it isn't much.

Then there's the constantly changing and ambitious quotes for how long it'd be before Starship launches. Go back to May of last year and they were still talking about July. I don't think that date was ever realistic, and I think GS and EM knew it. You can say they were putting pressure on government or just setting ambitious internal milestones, whatever the case I'll never believe those were realistic.

As for relationship with government - he's got good relationships and bad relationships.

EM and the SEC are about as far apart as fire and ice. That's something else entirely however and really doesn't pertain to SpaceX.

As for NASA - I think he's grateful and frustrated.... but more grateful. Still, until HLS, NASA all but ignored Starship. Moreover, they just recently, took a serious dig at SpaceX's Starlink program.... a very serious dig at it that questioned its safety with respect to NASA operations aboard the ISS. That kind of assertion could seriously impact the future growth of Starslink. Probably not, but its not something he was happy to see printed.

The HLS bit in particular is a little 'muddier' than one might think. The decision to go with Starship was made by interim staff, not NASA leadership selected under either administration. To this day I'm convinced that had the selection decision made 6 months earlier or 6 months later SpaceX would not have been the winner - I think the people on the ground there are ready to embrace Starship, but the leadership and Congress would prefer to continue ignoring it exists entirely. The HLS selection put the current NASA admin. in an awkward position imo - he did the right thing by upholding the decision made before he got there, but I don't think it would have gone that way had he been heading the agency at the time it was initially made.... but that's just my opinion. That said, I think EM will be forever grateful to NASA and work with them no matter what the case - he knows SpaceX wouldn't exist today without them.

The FAA relationship is even more awkward imo. We know all know how SN8 went.... that for sure pissed off the FAA. We also know he's constantly criticized the way the FAA operates and awards launch licenses in general. He's even publicly criticized the timeliness of inspectors. On the other hand, Congress chastised the FAA for not doing more when SpaceX defied them.... and the FAA held their ground, almost in defense of the actions SpaceX has taken since to mitigate further issues... that they didn't 'need to be punished'. More recently SpaceX and EM seem to be keeping their heads down. I think things are probably better between the two now than they ever have been... but that's a feeling I get based more on what's not being said than what is being said.

The FCC and SpaceX/EM seem to be pretty in-step for now.... then again most of their decisions have favored SpaceX.

As for USSF/USAF/DOD, SpaceX has had a few contracts now and they seem to be 100% onboard, both as a launch contractor and potential customers in the domain of satellite development/construction, Starlink and Starship.

In the end I mostly agree, particularly in the case of the way SpaceX plans development and testing around government approvals, but his relationship with government and the various agencies is absolutely hit or miss and full of highs and lows.

It's not like you NEED to go as far south as possible, but its going to help short of anything of a perfect polar orbit.

For sure, and definitely for GEO/extraGEO launch azimuths. For the high inclination mega constellations, its a much more muted benefit. Just to put some 0th order vector-math on it, a 53° inclination launch from BC/CC essentially has a ~40m/s upside over Wallops. While the math of course isn't not quite so simplistic, consider a 40 m/s advantage in the context of LEO orbital velocity that's well above 7+ km/s. For reference, Kourou has a ~115m/s advantage over CC for due east (GTO) launch trajectories.

Getting way sideways here, while its certainly easier to visualize the launch pad 'speed' as a function of latitude and thus that's typically used as the reason its better to launch from lower latitudes, the more impactful reason lower latitudes are preferred is because of inclination changes. The lower the launch latitude the less likely an inclination change is required in the first place, of course, and when ∆i is necessary, its yuuge. For instance, a CC GTO needs ~1.5km/s to turn into the equatorial plane. A Kourou GTO needs like ~250m/s.

That said, I'm sure...they wanted to keep the launch/construction/R&D close to where the engines were being made.

Maybe? As I understand, Texas Raptor production is recurring units with R&D still based in Hawthorne.

I suspect selection of Texas for R2 production its purely a financial move that probably also comes with subsidies (apparent or not) from Texas and/or the local municipality. There's not a ton of value in building a gazillion raptors in Hawthorn. Both facilities/overhead and labor are way more expensive there, and SpaceX is better off generally keeping their skilled labor on higher value activity. Aerospace labor in LA is pretty competitive, and that's before Relativity and Rocket Lab start ramping up their production (both are building out around LGB). I can't imagine many of the folks in Hawthorne will be stoked to sit under Elon's whip on a high volume line working the same Raptor widget day in, day out, when there are plenty of other more interesting positions.

BC does allow for a fully over-water easterly path, routing between south Florida and Cuba.

Not at all the point you were making I realize, but in the bigger picture of BC launches its worth considering flight path.

Importantly, save for Elon selling TSLA shares and dumping into SpaceX, direct and adjacent revenue from the Starlink program is what moves the needle for SpaceX, and especially in context of lifting v2 sats. When it comes to BC launches of Starlink, even if using a barge offshore to circumvent constraints on number of annual launches, the flight path necessarily goes over Mexico and Central America before it is properly orbital, and thus populated areas are within the debris field. Given that's basically not a thing with US launches, its not apparent (to me anyway) if SpaceX can change the paradigm to actually [efficiently] use BC for Starlink. There's certainly an alternative of doglegging the debris field around the Yucatan, but that's going to be a major hit to the lift. I suppose there's also an alternative of putting a platform WAY out in the gulf (maybe 600-800km from BC?), but that also seems logistically complicated.

So yeah, a Florida site--even if an offsite platform--seems absolutely imperative to me...unless PR becomes a thing. 😛

I think....the Starship delays have nothing to do with paperwork and govt agencies- SpaceX is not ready.

That's exactly right. No way Starship would have launched by today regardless any apparent hold up from the environmental review. SpaceX simply isn't ready. What's important is that, instead of fans getting emotional and interpreting that kind of statement as criticism, its all simply necessary stuff to do. Things come up, things need to get resolved, and that all takes time and ripples downstream. That's the way Agile environments (like starship dev) work in reality, that's the way Waterfall environments (like Vulcan dev) work in reality.

For sure, and definitely for GEO/extraGEO launch azimuths. For the high inclination mega constellations, its a much more muted benefit. Just to put some 0th order vector-math on it, a 53° inclination launch from BC/CC essentially has a ~40m/s upside over Wallops. While the math of course isn't not quite so simplistic, consider a 40 m/s advantage in the context of LEO orbital velocity that's well above 7+ km/s. For reference, Kourou has a ~115m/s advantage over CC for due east (GTO) launch trajectories.

Getting way sideways here, while its certainly easier to visualize the launch pad 'speed' as a function of latitude and thus that's typically used as the reason its better to launch from lower latitudes, the more impactful reason lower latitudes are preferred is because of inclination changes. The lower the launch latitude the less likely an inclination change is required in the first place, of course, and when ∆i is necessary, its yuuge. For instance, a CC GTO needs ~1.5km/s to turn into the equatorial plane. A Kourou GTO needs like ~250m/s.

Maybe? As I understand, Texas Raptor production is recurring units with R&D still based in Hawthorne.

I suspect selection of Texas for R2 production its purely a financial move that probably also comes with subsidies (apparent or not) from Texas and/or the local municipality. There's not a ton of value in building a gazillion raptors in Hawthorn. Both facilities/overhead and labor are way more expensive there, and SpaceX is better off generally keeping their skilled labor on higher value activity. Aerospace labor in LA is pretty competitive, and that's before Relativity and Rocket Lab start ramping up their production (both are building out around LGB). I can't imagine many of the folks in Hawthorne will be stoked to sit under Elon's whip on a high volume line working the same Raptor widget day in, day out, when there are plenty of other more interesting positions.

Not at all the point you were making I realize, but in the bigger picture of BC launches its worth considering flight path.

Importantly, save for Elon selling TSLA shares and dumping into SpaceX, direct and adjacent revenue from the Starlink program is what moves the needle for SpaceX, and especially in context of lifting v2 sats. When it comes to BC launches of Starlink, even if using a barge offshore to circumvent constraints on number of annual launches, the flight path necessarily goes over Mexico and Central America before it is properly orbital, and thus populated areas are within the debris field. Given that's basically not a thing with US launches, its not apparent (to me anyway) if SpaceX can change the paradigm to actually [efficiently] use BC for Starlink. There's certainly an alternative of doglegging the debris field around the Yucatan, but that's going to be a major hit to the lift. I suppose there's also an alternative of putting a platform WAY out in the gulf (maybe 600-800km from BC?), but that also seems logistically complicated.

So yeah, a Florida site--even if an offsite platform--seems absolutely imperative to me...unless PR becomes a thing. 😛

That's exactly right. No way Starship would have launched by today regardless any apparent hold up from the environmental review. SpaceX simply isn't ready. What's important is that, instead of fans getting emotional and interpreting that kind of statement as criticism, its all simply necessary stuff to do. Things come up, things need to get resolved, and that all takes time and ripples downstream. That's the way Agile environments (like starship dev) work in reality, that's the way Waterfall environments (like Vulcan dev) work in reality.
Thanks...you stated things a bit more adroitly than I. Yes, I find it a bit disconcerting when people just disagree whenever a purely factual statement is made. Same problem with the GF review in Berlin (where the delay is almost entirely Tesla's fault for not letting review start until mid december 2021). It's not a good trend and since Tesla is going to desperately need help from the FAA and NASA to find a launch site regulator management is obviously a key concern. If you treat key stakeholders with disdain ....don't expect to be rewarded.

I agree w/ the project planning bit. Its worth noting however that there was pretty strong evidence that both SpaceX and NASA were expecting Starship to fly for the first time in the March timeframe as far back as last October. See the image below. While there's no certainty that it was referencing SN20 and B4, most people seem to think this was the case - there's no reason SpaceX would want to put off such data gathering any longer than necessary.

In the end though I dont think Starship is that far ahead of or behind where it would have been had they test launched it back in October. Sure, they'd have that one launch under their belt, but they've had plenty of other work to occupy themselves. If they've been set back some, it isn't much.

Then there's the constantly changing and ambitious quotes for how long it'd be before Starship launches. Go back to May of last year and they were still talking about July. I don't think that date was ever realistic, and I think GS and EM knew it. You can say they were putting pressure on government or just setting ambitious internal milestones, whatever the case I'll never believe those were realistic.

As for relationship with government - he's got good relationships and bad relationships.

EM and the SEC are about as far apart as fire and ice. That's something else entirely however and really doesn't pertain to SpaceX.

As for NASA - I think he's grateful and frustrated.... but more grateful. Still, until HLS, NASA all but ignored Starship. Moreover, they just recently, took a serious dig at SpaceX's Starlink program.... a very serious dig at it that questioned its safety with respect to NASA operations aboard the ISS. That kind of assertion could seriously impact the future growth of Starslink. Probably not, but its not something he was happy to see printed.

The HLS bit in particular is a little 'muddier' than one might think. The decision to go with Starship was made by interim staff, not NASA leadership selected under either administration. To this day I'm convinced that had the selection decision made 6 months earlier or 6 months later SpaceX would not have been the winner - I think the people on the ground there are ready to embrace Starship, but the leadership and Congress would prefer to continue ignoring it exists entirely. The HLS selection put the current NASA admin. in an awkward position imo - he did the right thing by upholding the decision made before he got there, but I don't think it would have gone that way had he been heading the agency at the time it was initially made.... but that's just my opinion. That said, I think EM will be forever grateful to NASA and work with them no matter what the case - he knows SpaceX wouldn't exist today without them.

The FAA relationship is even more awkward imo. We know all know how SN8 went.... that for sure pissed off the FAA. We also know he's constantly criticized the way the FAA operates and awards launch licenses in general. He's even publicly criticized the timeliness of inspectors. On the other hand, Congress chastised the FAA for not doing more when SpaceX defied them.... and the FAA held their ground, almost in defense of the actions SpaceX has taken since to mitigate further issues... that they didn't 'need to be punished'. More recently SpaceX and EM seem to be keeping their heads down. I think things are probably better between the two now than they ever have been... but that's a feeling I get based more on what's not being said than what is being said.

The FCC and SpaceX/EM seem to be pretty in-step for now.... then again most of their decisions have favored SpaceX.

As for USSF/USAF/DOD, SpaceX has had a few contracts now and they seem to be 100% onboard, both as a launch contractor and potential customers in the domain of satellite development/construction, Starlink and Starship.

In the end I mostly agree, particularly in the case of the way SpaceX plans development and testing around government approvals, but his relationship with government and the various agencies is absolutely hit or miss and full of highs and lows.
I believe EM history with regulators is problematic and extends from SpaceX (FAA launch approval to the environmental review) to Tesla (too numerous but the recent discrimination investigation is the most dangerous followed by actions on permitting in GF Berlin where they had not even filed paperwork to enable review), to Boring (cars in LV needing to be autopilot but regulators won't allow- why? I mean that had to have been considered prior to offering it in a contract). It also extends to contracts between Tesla & consumers (solar roofs attempted price change on signed contracts, FSD prior to 2019 which was for L4/5 type capability which Tesla cannot deliver on those cars, etc). All in all EM is developing quite a bit of baggage regarding relationship with stakeholders...be it regulators or customers.

Not directly spacex related but this general worrisome trend is why I feel Tesla will be ill suited to offering a robotaxi service. I believe it would eventually be a tremendous failure.

Reactions: Stook02ss
The image I was referring to. Note the date. This was revealed in October 2021. We can't say for sure it was intended to be the SN20 BN4 launch, but one would imagine that would be the case. Either way, its at least some evidence that lead plenty of people back in 2021 to believe that it wouldn't be launched til March at the earliest.
Yes, I read this when it came out (the full slide is here), I think the March 2022 date is more an indication of when the NASA system will be ready than when Starship will be ready. If you read the slide, it shows the NASA team still has work to do before they can perform the observation ("Fabrication nearing completion", "Observation planning process initiated", "Material samples to be tested to determine surface emissivity")