TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

SpaceX to land next booster on land, not the ASDS

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by Grendal, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Would be so crazy exciting and a fabulous Christmas present...if true

3. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

I'm sure it is a matter of getting certain Federal agencies to okay the attempt. NASA can say yes, but if the FAA says no, then it is a no. I'm happy to see the desire to give it a try is there.

Good luck, SpaceX.

4. patrick42h

patrick42h Member

I would assume that the FAA's concerns were about SpaceX being able to control the booster and hitting a target. It would be a bad day if the stage overshot Cape Canaveral and landed on Disney World.

Since SpaceX has shown several times that they can execute a pinpoint landing, I would assume the FAA would be satisfied, whether the stage tips over or not.

5. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

USAF Confirms SpaceX Awaiting FAA Approval for Booster Landing at Cape for Return to Flight

"the mission is expected to mark the maiden voyage of the “Full Thrust” (FT) variant of the Falcon 9 booster, also known informally as the “v1.2

http://www.americaspace.com/?p=89127