Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX vs. Everyone - ULA, NG, Boeing, Lockheed, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's an odd statement. It reads as if ULA is working hard to get Blue Origin to keep up. Surely he wouldn't say that in public.
"We are expecting Blue to keep up with us, and we're working very, very hard to do that," he said. "So far, so good.“

Seems like it’s BO that should be “working very very hard” to make the engines that ULA needs.

Yes, an odd statement indeed.

It reads like Bruno feels like they gotta crack the whip to keep them in line...
Or it's a sale pitch. They're shopping ULA around, so they say "If it wasn't for Blue Origin, we'd be doing so much better."

Phrased another way, in deference to Blue Origin being a potential buyer, "We move faster than Blue Origin." That would invite Jeff to think that he can turbocharge his organization by buying ULA.

Reactions: scaesare
It reads like Bruno feels like they gotta crack the whip to keep them in line...

Or it's a sale pitch. They're shopping ULA around, so they say "If it wasn't for Blue Origin, we'd be doing so much better."

It seems obvious to me that it's something along those lines. All CEOs are cheerleaders for their companies. Most CEOs are able to control their mouths. Whether y'all have guessed his specific meaning, I don't doubt that it's intended to make ULA look good to the people that matter to him.

Last edited:
I'd never heard of the all-solid-rocket approach for Ariane 6. That doesn't sound like it would scale particularly well, for environmental reasons.

Hmm. Martian soil is rich in perchlorates, and aluminum is also common. Would a solid rocket be better suited for in-situ resource utilization on Mars?

And, sure enough, here's an article on folks playing with that at Purdue University. They talk about the perchlorates in Martian soil being calcium perchlorate and magnesium perchlorate. Neither is as efficient an oxidizer as ammonium perchlorate (used on the Space Shuttle), but the experimental results were described as "encouraging". With Mars' lower gravity, they might work. Certainly the aluminum will be there. Interestingly, the guy behind the work described in that article moved on to Blue Origin...

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
I am Jack's complete lack of surprise:

The reason I like Berger’s articles so much is that he always finds a way to twist the knife:

“Whereas Bruno's company launched just three rockets in 2023, on a handful of occasions SpaceX has launched three rockets in three days during this calendar year. ”

There's probably nothing new here, but it's another article on Blue Origin or Cerberus possibly bidding in the $2-3 billion dollar range for ULA.

United Launch Alliance has received buyout bids from Blue Origin, the space company owned by Jeff Bezos, and from Cerberus, the private-equity giant led by billionaire Stephen Feinberg, people familiar with the matter said.

Textron, an aviation and defense manufacturer, has also expressed interest in ULA, some of the people said.

It couldn’t be determined how much ULA’s suitors have bid for the company, and a deal may not materialize. Some people familiar with the potential sale have said valuing ULA could be challenging in part because its historical performance is based on rockets it is discontinuing.

Jefferies has estimated that ULA would fetch $2 billion to $3 billion in a sale. Another suitor offered $2 billion to buy ULA in 2015. Ars Technica has reported that ULA was up for sale and attracting attention from Blue Origin and others that weren’t named.

There's probably nothing new here, but it's another article on Blue Origin or Cerberus possibly bidding in the $2-3 billion dollar range for ULA.

If B.O. buys ULA, it will be interesting to see what the product of two companies with such a pace and style is...

Reactions: Grendal and JB47394
Eric Berger: Blue Origin has emerged as the likely buyer for United Launch Alliance
The rocket company owned by Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, Blue Origin, has emerged as the sole finalist to buy United Launch Alliance.

The sale is not official, and nothing has been formally announced. The co-owners of United Launch Alliance (ULA), Lockheed Martin and Boeing, have yet to comment publicly on the sale of the company, which, until the rise of SpaceX, was the sole major launch provider in the United States. They declined again on Wednesday.
But Vulcan and New Glenn seem like pretty direct competitors.

Last edited:
But Vulcan and New Glenn seem like pretty direct competitors.
I'm not sure what you're suggesting here. Companies buy their competitors all the time.

In this case, Blue Origin buying ULA makes a lot of sense for the sake of efficiency. ULA is currently purchasing BE-4 engines from Blue Origin. I assume Blue Origin is making a profit off those engines. But if Blue Origin buys ULA, then they inherit all the Vulcan launch contracts and they get to execute them with BE-4 engines obtained at cost. That should be a hefty boost in profit per launch because engines are the lion's share of booster cost.

I assume the government will allow it because they only need two providers of heavy launch systems.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here. Companies buy their competitors all the time.
True of course. But I am wondering; if New Glenn is a success and starts launching next year, how long will Vulcan last? I suppose years, because New Glenn will be busy launching Kuiper sats, and BO may not be able to produce New Glenn vehicles too frequently.

And backed by Bezos’s billions, BO can pretty much do what it wants.

Reactions: Grendal