Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX's Rising Tide - Discussion of non-SpaceX launch companies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, it looks like Proton is back, baby!

FTR its just a PR splash an honestly, the most compelling reason to read is because of the beautifully written by a Russian, in Russian element <kisses fingers>.

TLDR:
--The 40 year old Proton is AWESOME
--We haven't had a failure in like...I dunno...but it really doesn't matter, right?
--If your rocket doesn't have four stages, <Scottish accent> its crap.
--We've compiled tens of missions's worth of data to marginally improve our service by cutting back on our decade's old conservative margins. (You know, like any sensible technology company would)
--If your bean counters love the idea of our enabling you to extend your 15 year GEO to 23 years, they're going to love the might possibly have cost parity to falcon element to our launch service! WHOA WHO WHOA!! HEY!!! LOOK OVER HERE...don't pay attention to that technology obsolescence over there.
--Our fairing is bigger now!!! (Nevermind that nobody is going to build a sat that size because nobody else but Mitsubishi has a fairing that wide)
--We have TWO pads that we can launch from!!! (Pay no attention to the other two literally right next to them that we've let go to *sugar* over the decades)

Don't get me wrong I think its great to have a bunch of launcher options and I have some good history with Proton (***could be Stockholm syndrome)...my major takeaway here is actually "This might not bode well for Angara".

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare and mspohr
Yeah...I guess that's a way to get to orbit?

Includes requisite dramatic soundtrack and pensive/joyus (pre vs post launch) shots of founder and engineers. And definitely no startup ever has made black t-shirts with the logo on the front.

Lol. I was literally just reading this article: Space Launch Start-Up Just Used A Giant Centrifuge To Fling A Projectile Into The Upper Atmosphere

Came here to post it and am completely unsurprised to be ninja'd by you 😆.

Haven't done the math to figure out how many gees the projectile is subjected to, but that would be an interesting number.

Edit: Good ol' Scott Manley says around 10,000g at peak loading. Not exactly human-rated. Also a 90-minute spin-up time. I was right, that's an interesting number.

Last edited: