Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spoiler install - Best double sided tape

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may seem simple but trust me, I am having problems with this. I have a model 3 and purchased a spoiler. I need to install with double sided tape however, the tape I find is to thick preventing the spoiler from fitting correctly.

I am hoping someone who has installed a spoiler successfully will share what they did, tape used, method etc....

Appreciate any help in advance....

I fitted one myself using some of the guides online.

The answer is 3M Very High Bond (VHB) tape ideally with an adhesion promoter, although I didn't use it.

Rough outline of the steps:
  • Prepare the surface with IPA and consider whether you need to remove wax on the paint
  • Use masking tape to mark out where the spoiler needs to go
  • Apply two strips of VHB along the length of the spoiler
  • Apply the spoiler to the car noting:
    • VHB tape likes pressure and temperature
    • Pressure is addressed by forcing the spoiler onto the body with a lot of body weight for a period of minutes. I also used electrical tape to hold the spoiler onto the body for about 3 days after the install.
    • Best way to get temperature is to do it on a sunny day, otherwise you can use a heat gun
  • With all of the above I've not had any peel in three years which is better than Tesla manage.
I also managed to get Tesla to code the spoiler into the car config so it appears in the car display.

This may seem simple but trust me, I am having problems with this. I have a model 3 and purchased a spoiler. I need to install with double sided tape however, the tape I find is to thick preventing the spoiler from fitting correctly.

I am hoping someone who has installed a spoiler successfully will share what they did, tape used, method etc....

Appreciate any help in advance....
IMG_3755.jpg

I fitted one myself using some of the guides online.

The answer is 3M Very High Bond (VHB) tape ideally with an adhesion promoter, although I didn't use it.

Rough outline of the steps:
  • Prepare the surface with IPA and consider whether you need to remove wax on the paint
  • Use masking tape to mark out where the spoiler needs to go
  • Apply two strips of VHB along the length of the spoiler
  • Apply the spoiler to the car noting:
    • VHB tape likes pressure and temperature
    • Pressure is addressed by forcing the spoiler onto the body with a lot of body weight for a period of minutes. I also used electrical tape to hold the spoiler onto the body for about 3 days after the install.
    • Best way to get temperature is to do it on a sunny day, otherwise you can use a heat gun
  • With all of the above I've not had any peel in three years which is better than Tesla manage.
I also managed to get Tesla to code the spoiler into the car config so it appears in the car display.
Pretty much this!

I did used the adhesion promoter mentioned and warmed both surfaces with a hair dryer before attaching the spoiler -:it's important to measure, test fit and mark with masking tape precisely where it is going because the 3M VHB tape does 'grab' under these circumstances.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Thanks to both of you for the advice, great help. Interested in how you got Tesla to code it?

I have also looked at lots of tape options, when I originally tried this I found the thickness of the foam tape was too thick to get the sort fully back onto the boot / trunk.

Did they do this remotely or did you take your to an SC?
Was there a charge
In 2021 they did it remote for free with proof of puchase of an OEM spoiler and a photo proving its on the car. That might have been a generous tech?
My car is an LR and they told me the wouldn't / couldn't code it as spoiler only fitted to P?!

Interested to hear if other have had a different outcome?
I had a P3- if that made a difference.

Do LR owners see the option of a spoiler in the App Shop?

Spoiler Installation Tip​

1. Clean the Surface: Ensure that the area where you will be installing the spoiler is clean and free of any dirt, wax, or debris. You can use a mild cleaning solution to clean the surface.
  2. Mark the Placement: Before applying the spoiler, mark the exact placement using masking tape. This will serve as a guide during the installation.
  3. Test Fit: Before removing any adhesive backing, do a test fit of the spoiler to make sure it aligns properly with the markings. Adjust as needed.
  4. Use a Helper: If possible, have someone assist you during the installation. They can help hold the spoiler in place while you secure it.
  5. Peel Off Adhesive Backing: Once you're satisfied with the placement, start peeling off the adhesive backing gradually. Avoid touching the adhesive to prevent any contamination. In order to achieve better effect, we suggest to heating the double sided adhesive by hair dryer or lighting. (It can't over 40 degrees).
  6. Press Firmly: Once the adhesive is exposed, press the spoiler firmly onto the surface. Apply even pressure across the entire surface to ensure a secure bond.Please pressing 20-30 seconds or more when paste and stay dry in 48 hours for the best firming result.
  7. Double-Check Alignment: After installation, double-check the alignment to ensure it meets your satisfaction. Make any adjustments if necessary.

Spoiler Installation Video​