Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaky Brakes - Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have an issue with really loud squeaks coming from your model 3 when going in reverse or moving forward at slow speeds? This happens with my wife’s model 3 but not mine. Here’s a video of the squeak:
I read it could be loose or missing clips on the calipers. This only occurs at slow speeds and is quite embarrassing. Anyone else have this issue or had this resolved that could confirm the cause?

Anyone have an issue with really loud squeaks coming from your model 3 when going in reverse or moving forward at slow speeds? This happens with my wife’s model 3 but not mine. Here’s a video of the squeak:
I read it could be loose or missing clips on the calipers. This only occurs at slow speeds and is quite embarrassing. Anyone else have this issue or had this resolved that could confirm the cause?

I have this same problem. I discussed with tesla mobile service and it's considered "normal." Mostly because we use our brakes less than traditional cars because of regenerative braking. The issue resolves after driving for a while and using the brakes more (warming up the brakes). They offered a service appointment to clean the brake calipers but it didn't seem worth the $ to me.

I have this same problem. I discussed with tesla mobile service and it's considered "normal." Mostly because we use our brakes less than traditional cars because of regenerative braking. The issue resolves after driving for a while and using the brakes more (warming up the brakes). They offered a service appointment to clean the brake calipers but it didn't seem worth the $ to me.

The funny thing is my wife has the regenerative braking set to low and uses them like a normal car. I on the other hand use the regenerative braking and I don’t have any issues with my model 3 making those noises. If she drives at high speeds the noise goes away with braking. But when she goes to park or back up again the squeak is back. It would drive me crazy if it was my car. I always know when she’s home cause I can hear the squeak all the way inside the house lol.

One of my friends has the same issue. I never have, but I make a point of tapping the brakes a few times on each drive to clean off rust from the rotors. I suggested he do the same...voila...no more noise.

Best,

One of my friends has the same issue. I never have, but I make a point of tapping the brakes a few times on each drive to clean off rust from the rotors. I suggested he do the same...voila...no more noise.

Best,

I’ve tried that but it still happens unfortunately. Her rotors look fine just like mine. I suppose it might just be a mystery.

So I had and do have that same issue from time to time... The way that I get rid of it and it's temporary. I got it off youtube, you drive fast and then stop on the dime going at least 45-55mph... I was skeptical but it did go away for a short period of time but then it comes back several days later.... done at least 10 times already.

Had a rotational squeak coming from the rear passenger wheel well. Linked this thread (and others) to the Tesla Service appointment. A mobile ranger came out, did a burnishment, did not inspect clips. Squeak went away, temporarily. Took a video of the squeak and re-submitted a service request. Tesla Torrance Service Center picked it up. After an hour of "investigating" Tesla Service Advisor suggested sandpapering the brake pads. At that point, I insisted to talk directly to the Tesla Service Technician. Tesla Technician was looking at all 4 brakes (the car was on the lift with all 4 wheels off 🤷🏻‍♂️). I had the Tesla Technician remove brake clips off the rear brake, and as expected, one of the clips was rubbing against the rotor.

Mark (Service Manager of Tesla Torrance) came to talk to me and stated that even though the car is under warranty, this incident would be Customer Pay since the brake calipers were painted. I had the same exact "squeak" issue on the left rear side of the car, took the car into Tesla Torrance, and that faulty clip was addressed under warranty. I updated the Resurrect Wheel Con, who painted the calipers, who also agreed that the painting of the calipers would not logically attribute to faulty brake clips rubbing against the rotor. You would think that a Service Manager when dealing with a repeat issue, would make identical decisions for the same issue, otherwise, that just leaves a loyal customer unhappy.

Hi
We have had the car now for 4 weeks and done 2000kms, front brakes are squeaking now when cold and pulling out of the driveway, also the window rubbers are squeaking when putting the windows up or down, I have owned many luxury car and haven’t seen anything like this so far, let’s see what’s next :)

What was their cost estimate out of curiosity? I just did mine myself while swapping to summers.

Ski

I only have this when backing out of the garage after washing or if put away wet from driving in the rain. If it happens, it’s only in reverse and for a very short distance. After driving there is no noise. I’m assuming everything dries out.

I only have this when backing out of the garage after washing or if put away wet from driving in the rain. If it happens, it’s only in reverse and for a very short distance. After driving there is no noise. I’m assuming everything dries out.
Not so much drying out…
posted this thread a while back...
Great Tip! Squeaky Brakes easily fixed!!!

My M3 brakes are squeaking, loudly, from cold.
Truth be known I've had numerous 'prestige ' motors over the past few years..each and every one has done this.
JLR blamed climatic conditions.

The noise is frustrating, the looks from the neighbours is embarrassing.

Late to the game, started having squealing several months back on my 2021 Model 3 (28k miles). Made appointment and Tesla sent message to try burnishing brakes first.
  1. Drive the vehicle at approximately 50 mph - 55 mph (80 km/h - 90 km/h) on a straight road.
  2. Apply moderate, consistent pressure to the brake pedal to slowly decelerate the vehicle, releasing at 10 mph (15 km/h).
  3. Repeat this procedure 6 times, waiting at least 30 seconds between applications.
So I did and it helped so I cancelled the appointment. It lasted about 4 days. I was busy and taking it to the Service Center was pretty inconvenient so I put it off. Finally last week I made an appointment to take the car in to a Tesla Service Center because it was embarrassing going through a drive thru and having extremely loud squealing brakes on a pretty newish low miles $43,000 car.

Tesla Technician came out and told me that it's just the natures of the car to get squealing brakes because they are used so infrequently. He said he they will check it out and probably do a burnishing. I told him I already did that an it only lasted 4 days and he said "yeah, it's a temporary remedy to the noise". He said they will take a look because it's under warranty but if I bring it back in for the same issue there will be a Brake Servicing Charge.

So it's normal to have squealing brakes apparently, because here I am, 5 days later with squealing brakes. I bought the car not only because of gas savings but because for minimal maintenance, but I've had more maintenance/repair issues in a 12 month period with this car than any other I've ever owned.

- Exterior Trim by Side Mirror was coming off, had mobile tech come repair
- 12V Battery was corroded. Found that when I did my first car wash about a week after getting the car delivered
- Ground strap was also corroded but the mobile tech didn't have one and they had to order a part to the service center, so had to wait and take it in.
- Rear Passenger Window FELL OUT onto the highway while driving to work one morning. Had it and regulator replaced. Window was intermittently not retracting when door was being opened. This caused stress fracture to glass which caused it to break from vibrations. replaced under warranty
- Burnishing & replaced O-ring on Trunk Power Strut.

I had Tesla clean the brakes with a lubricant. It seems to help although the squeaking my partially come back.

There's no such thing. They may have lubricated the caliper slide pins or potentially put some goop on the back surface (not the side that touches the rotors) of the pads. The squealing is caused by lack of significant enough friction to scrape off the thin layer of rust on the rotors that forms when the car is parked for a while. For people who use regenerative braking, it's quite possible that you're rarely getting enough steady friction to clean off the rust. Try the burnishing thing (helps to turn off regenerative braking when you do it). If you still have significant rust on the rotors then they may need to be turned on a lathe to get them rust free and true again.

Best,