Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dreaded squeaky suspension (2019 Model 3 SR+)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there has been some discussion about this in earlier threads but I'm now getting the dreaded squeak on the front suspension while at full (or close to) full lock.

I had the joints lubricated in 2021 and the upper control arms replaced in 2022 (both under warranty).

I'm now out of warranty and wondered if anyone else had experience with Tesla on this so some questions for the wisdom of the room :

1. If I book this in via Tesla what are they likely to fix and what might the cost be ?
2. I understand there have been revisions to the control arms - surely this is a tacid admission that the original design wasn't fit for purpose - how likely am I to be able to persuade Tesla this is something they should fix for free ?
3. Is it causing any damage i.e. if I ignore is it likely to cause more expensive damage ?
4. Could a local garage lubricate the joints ?

Thanks in advance !

First off, there are 3 main sources of noise from the front. The noises can be described as a squeak/groan/knock. Sometimes it can happen when the car is stationary and you turn the steering from lock to lock. Sometimes it needs the car to be moving before you can hear it.

If it happens when the car is stationary and is more of a squeak than a groan/knock, it's usually the front upper control arm (FUCA) ball joint which is visible just over the top and behind of the front tyre. Otherwise, it could be a worn inner rubber bush on one (or both) of the two lower arms. These are more difficult to see/get to which makes it harder to pinpoint the source of the noise. If it is the lower arms, it's usually more of a knock and happens more when the car is under load and driving, but it can happen when stationary also.

Assuming yours is the FUCA:
1. Book it into Tesla and they might do it under goodwill (it has happened), Otherwise, the last time I saw an invoice for the job it cost £271.11 inc. VAT in total.
2. There have been revisions, but on the whole unless you can get them to fit the very latest revision which is made from aluminium and should fix the problem for the life of the car, the squeaking may come back. See below for the part number revisions. The ones you want are p/n 1288321/1288326.
3. It's not causing damage and is very unlikely to fail completely (unless you put up with it for 100,000 miles maybe).
4. You or a garage could lubricate the joints but it's a temporary fix and you'll just wish you did the job properly in the first place. If you want to try there are guides on TMC if you do a search.

The other option is buy and fit aftermarket arms which have the issue designed out of them through the use of a better sealed ball joint (the issue is water ingress). The best choices currently IMO are Meyle or Powerflex, but they are more expensive than the Tesla parts so with fitting you could be looking at a total of £400-£500, but they are higher quality than the Tesla parts.

Model 3 Front Arms Jan24.jpg

The diagram above shows the FUCA (3) and both lower arms (1 & 2). This is from the UK Model 3 parts catalogue but they refer to p/n 1288321/6, which currently appear in the Model Y U.S. catalogue only, so may not be available in the UK.

Last edited: