Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaky Brakes - Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Owned my M3H since release day (End of Jan).

I have noticed this last week that the brakes squeak when stopping, it only happens for say the last bit of braking when coming to a full stop. Is this normal?

I assume it is to do with them not being used with the regen braking and then going rusty in the wet weather.

Are you using the 'Hold' setting or 'Creep'?
Photos of your brake discs would help so we can see the condition of them, but yes it's probably lack of use causing it. You've got to use the brakes hard every now and then, more so when the weather's like it's been here in the UK recently.

Are you using the 'Hold' setting or 'Creep'?
Photos of your brake discs would help so we can see the condition of them, but yes it's probably lack of use causing it. You've got to use the brakes hard every now and then, more so when the weather's like it's been here in the UK recently.
I use hold, I will take the covers off and have a look. I will try doing some hard braking and see if that helps

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
Unusual in hold mode for them to squeak. Keep them in good condition and they will last a long, long time! Quite a few owners ignore them and then complain when they have to replace all the discs and pads because of corrosion and neglect. ;)

Unusual in hold mode for them to squeak. Keep them in good condition and they will last a long, long time! Quite a few owners ignore them and then complain when they have to replace all the discs and pads because of corrosion and neglect. ;)
Yes, I will try and get them a good brake ever so often. I would be nice to have an indication of how hard you have to brake to actually be using them.

I have come from a ford ranger where I probably only got 20k miles max from the pads anyway.

Mine are the same. M3H collected 2 Feb. Only squeak very occasionally at very low speed. Probably needs a service appointment but not worth the effort at the moment. Tried braking hard to bed them in but I'm not sure whether the noise is from the inside or outside.

Lots of variables to do with this subject but something that hasn't helped historically is the these cars don't get any proper brake bedding done before delivery and if they are then under-used the corrosion problem gets worse and worse as time goes on.

Best general advice I can give not having seen the state of the brakes myself is to go through the brake burnishing routine in the car's service menu, which is accessed by going into the 'software' page then pressing the 'Model 3' logo for 5 seconds, enter "service" when it asks for access code and then once it loads you'll see 6 selections at the bottom of the screen one of which is "Brake Burnishing".

Reactions: Roger20
Lots of variables to do with this subject but something that hasn't helped historically is the these cars don't get any proper brake bedding done before delivery and if they are then under-used the corrosion problem gets worse and worse as time goes on.

Best general advice I can give not having seen the state of the brakes myself is to go through the brake burnishing routine in the car's service menu, which is accessed by going into the 'software' page then pressing the 'Model 3' logo for 5 seconds, enter "service" when it asks for access code and then once it loads you'll see 6 selections at the bottom of the screen one of which is "Brake Burnishing".
That's great advice thank you. I will have try and see where that goes longer term