Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sr+ range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
now that’s it’s getting warmer. Does anybody have some real world range and best wh/mi for long range trips? Still stuck between Lr and Sr+ but really would be stretching the budget. Longest road trips we make is 500 miles 2-3 times a year. We’re in Georgia so it doesn’t get real cold gear for that long. Thanks for the help!

If range is the concern, just watch your speed. I drive about 65 on the highway and consistently beat the rated range estimates in my SR+. Typical advice is to always get the longest range you can afford. Remember you can still order the RWD LR off menu.

I’m fine with my SR+. On a 500 mile trip, I’d make two charging stops. I like the opportunity to stretch my legs anyway. If I need to get somewhere fast, I fly. That’s my personal philosophy and if you’re very sensitive to the overall trip time you should definitely lean towards the LR. If you’re willing to take your time and you are not doing much beyond 500 miles each way in relatively warm weather, you can probably save your money. Keep in mind that climate control usage impacts range also (particularly heat but also AC - just using the fans uses almost nothing).

If range is the concern, just watch your speed. I drive about 65 on the highway and consistently beat the rated range estimates in my SR+. Typical advice is to always get the longest range you can afford. Remember you can still order the RWD LR off menu.

I’m fine with my SR+. On a 500 mile trip, I’d make two charging stops. I like the opportunity to stretch my legs anyway. If I need to get somewhere fast, I fly. That’s my personal philosophy and if you’re very sensitive to the overall trip time you should definitely lean towards the LR. If you’re willing to take your time and you are not doing much beyond 500 miles each way in relatively warm weather, you can probably save your money. Keep in mind that climate control usage impacts range also (particularly heat but also AC - just using the fans uses almost nothing).
What kind of wh/mi you getting at 65? Our trip is usually to Florida so pretty basic and never usually in a rush other than just to start vacation lol. I usually stay in 70-75 range but don’t mind taking the loss if I gain some more range

What kind of wh/mi you getting at 65? Our trip is usually to Florida so pretty basic and never usually in a rush other than just to start vacation lol. I usually stay in 70-75 range but don’t mind taking the loss if I gain some more range

On my recent trip out to the eastern shore of VA, I was doing about 205-210 wh/mi. Weather was pleasant so I had the fan running but no AC. A decent amount of the drive was 55 MPH road that was doing around 60 and getting 200 wh/mi. Once I got back on the highway and went up to 65 it was a little more, probably around 210. I have the 18" wheels with the aero caps on and most the drive was flat terrain.

Last edited: