Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SSD Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, newbie here. Quick question for everyone, how do I know whether the new SSD drive is faulty or if it's the software in my car. I tried to install the drive I just received and there isn't a camera icon showing up on my screen to indicate that the dash cam or sentry mode is working. Tried turning sentry mode on and the light comes on but nothing happens when the car is locked and you walked around. Any ideas would be grealy appreciated.

1. Plug in your USB in the car
  2. Go to Controls > Safety > Security
  3. Scroll down untill «FORMAT USB DEVICE» and tap on it
  4. Confirm by tapping on’FORMAT’
tesla-format-usb-drive.jpg

Reactions: house9
Either left or right both support data so it doesn't matter which port you use.
Data=yes, power and compatibility=no. right=USB 2.0 and 500mA/2.5W max. left=USB 3.1 and whole lot more power than any SSD will use. There is a difference. I run my SSD off of the USB-C left side. No issues. Not enough power on right side to properly support writing to SSDs, depends on the make but I suspect most will encounter some sort of starvation while writing...

Data=yes, power and compatibility=no. right=USB 2.0 and 500mA/2.5W max. left=USB 3.1 and whole lot more power than any SSD will use. There is a difference. I run my SSD off of the USB-C left side. No issues. Not enough power on right side to properly support writing to SSDs, depends on the make but I suspect most will encounter some sort of starvation while writing...
I save the high power USB-C for the phone charging mat. I have a 500 gb SSD from PureTesla - they say either USB-A or USB-C, I've been using USB-A for 6 weeks now and no issues.

I save the high power USB-C for the phone charging mat. I have a 500 gb SSD from PureTesla - they say either USB-A or USB-C, I've been using USB-A for 6 weeks now and no issues.
Lucky you. Mine does not work on right side with USB 2.0 - not enough current to support writing, it needs 3.75W which is more than the 2.5W the right side can supply, so it does not write correctly, can starve and fail to write. I have to use the left side with USB-C hub to get the extra power it needs.

Triggered much? Whole post is about SSD.
Lazy much? Try using the search function and you'll see that plenty of people (perhaps even a majority) on this site favor a micro SD and you'll see entire threads of helpful people explaining the options.

You join the site a 4 days ago, read 6 posts in this thread, NONE OF WHICH EXPRESSED A PREFERENCE FOR AN SSD, and responded like a know-it-all.

And if you think "Read more before posting" is a triggered response, perhaps it is you who is the triggered one.