Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starts charging on its own overnight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have an early 2014 S85 and it has (a couple of timex in the last week) started charging in the middle of the night after I stopped charging around 5pm without being at full charge.

We live completely off the grid, and charge only when the sun is out. Twice now, I have stopped charging from the app when our solar production drops below the 5kW level the car is pulling. Last night, it finished charging and pulled our batteries down to 54%. Not a big deal since our array will charge the batteries by 11am, but will be a huge deal in the winter when we use more power overnight.

Any ideas other than physically unplugging it?

Did you check scheduled charging? Also, perhaps set the charge limit to a lower level just in case. If there's a brief power interruption, your car may restart charging. You can also set the limit through the app.

Congratulations on your solar / EV configuration! It's nice having to pay zero for EV charges I'm sure. A grid configuration is also another option where you give back more than 100% of your power usage to the grid, and you might even be able to get paid for doing that. So instead of power bills, you'd receive power payments and increase grid stability :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I just checked scheduled charging, and it is off. We keep the charging set down to18 Amps so we don't push our inverter too close to its limits. There may have been some anomaly in the power, but nothing that shows up on tge inverter.

the nearest power pole is about 6 miles, so grid connectivity isn't possible! Sure wish we could just say "Never charge between 5pm and 6am".

I just checked scheduled charging, and it is off. We keep the charging set down to18 Amps so we don't push our inverter too close to its limits. There may have been some anomaly in the power, but nothing that shows up on tge inverter.

the nearest power pole is about 6 miles, so grid connectivity isn't possible! Sure wish we could just say "Never charge between 5pm and 6am".
I don't think that is what he is talking about. Not talking about setting the amperage limit, but to make sure your percentage limit is lower, otherwise the car might charge for a short while to regain the charge it lost in the last day or so.