Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Static noise from dashboard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

viper2ko

Aug 30, 2017
USA
Usually happens when Im first driving in the morning. It sounds like its coming from the speaker near the dashboard. It happens whether the radios on or off. And it seems to go away after 5 minutes or so.

Is it pretty quiet? I have a sound effect that might be described as static that I only notice when radio is low. Sounds like it’s coming from somewhere near the main screen. It sounds sort of like the sound effects our old IBM PC would make when making heavy calculations. I’ve assumed it was some sort of electronic related noise. It doesn’t seem to be coming from the where I believe the AP computer board to be (near glove compartment, you can sometimes hear a little fan there).

I had a similar issue. There was a static buzzing sound coming from the speakers when the car was cold in the winter, mainly the passenger front door speaker. After 3 visits to the SC they finally fixed it and I haven’t heard the noise since then.

Reactions: viper2ko
This may be unrelated. However, I had a buzzing sound coming from my dashboard intermittently went on the highway. It was hard to diagnose where the sound was coming from. Eventually ascertained that was the trim under the air vents. Tesla pulled it out and packed some foam in there and I haven't had the sound since.

Having my cell phone sitting in the center console was causing static noise from the speakers even when the radio was off. If I move my phone into my pocket the static goes away instantaneously and when I put the phone back in the console the noise starts again. Apparently it's some kind of interference and only happens intermittently for me.

Did they say what they did. This sounds exactly like what im having

The first time I went in they said they found a loose connector on one of the rear speakers. I don't know what they were thinking but that didn't solve anything.
The actual fix seemed to be a wiring issue behind the MCU. I'll attach a screenshot of my service invoice.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 2.22.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 2.22.34 PM.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 219
Reactions: viper2ko
Is it pretty quiet? I have a sound effect that might be described as static that I only notice when radio is low. Sounds like it’s coming from somewhere near the main screen. It sounds sort of like the sound effects our old IBM PC would make when making heavy calculations. I’ve assumed it was some sort of electronic related noise. It doesn’t seem to be coming from the where I believe the AP computer board to be (near glove compartment, you can sometimes hear a little fan there).
I know this is an old post but were you able to find out what the "PC computing" sound was and is there a fix? Thanks!

Reactions: rickyjb