Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steam tutorial for idiots?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I was ecstatic to get the holiday update, finally FSD beta!
anyway, I added a new sod card, and pulled out my dashcam card to protect it. I formatted it for steam, formatted it in steam, but I can’t get steam to download the games onto it, nor does it seem to show up in steam overall.
on my 2022 S, I have it plugged into the center console (versus my dash am slot in the glove box). Is that causing my grief?
I want to protect my sentry/dashcam, and hoped I could install and use steam in the console.
thanks for any guidance.

On later 2022 Model S's you can only use the glove box usb for data and storage. I would recommond getting an external san disk extreme ssd. That will format the drive to 64gb for dashcam/sentry and the rest for Steam. Also, only the PS5 dual sense controller seams to be working for me wirelessly for steam.

Hi all, I was ecstatic to get the holiday update, finally FSD beta!
anyway, I added a new sod card, and pulled out my dashcam card to protect it. I formatted it for steam, formatted it in steam, but I can’t get steam to download the games onto it, nor does it seem to show up in steam overall.
on my 2022 S, I have it plugged into the center console (versus my dash am slot in the glove box). Is that causing my grief?
I want to protect my sentry/dashcam, and hoped I could install and use steam in the console.
thanks for any guidance.
I just did this tonight. I replaced my 128gb telsla provided USB with a 256gb microSD. I put the new SD in a USB adapter into the glovebox port. Then from the Tesla arcade launch screen for steam, before you click launch, to the right was an option to format. When clicked it asked if I wanted to set aside 64gb for sentry and the rest to steam. After that I am in the process of downloading games onto the SD card.

Hi all, the steam idiot (me) is back.
I learned that the center console won't work for steam SD cards, but the glovebox will - so i removed my pristine, extra heavy duty 256gb SD card, to use a slightly less heavy duty 256gb sd card (seriously, i wanted my original 256gb for dashcam/sentry in case i'm in accident, etc. and steam is secondary to me).
so now, about 2 weeks or so after installing steam - i haven't played a single minute yet.
it took forever to download stuff, and now i'm faced with the witcher iii stuck on the tesla internal storage and it won't go to the sd card. it says files are already there. i was able to move 2 or 3 other downloads.
i had tried playing a game using my usb-c game controller which worked fine for hte tesla games, but no luck with whatever game i tried i steam.
i since bought a ps 5 controller to use as my steam controller.
i have since installed something like md and btrfs for windows and am unable to see the linux partition of the steam sd card.
i appreciate any help any kind soul can give to accessing the linux partition and removing the witcher iii on the sd card, so i can then try to move it there. alternatively, i may just reformat and start over.
thanks for any help or guidance!

Hi all,

I also got 2 PS5 controllers as they work best. They also look nice and fit into the center console.
What I did not find out is, how to make the care downloading games over night.
There is a message in the driver display, that the download continues after leaving the car. But this is wrong. When steam is running a download is active, it ends when I close the door.
It does not matter if I lock the car, everything stopped already.

Any idea, how to make the car downloading the games over night using my WLAN?

Thanks
Michi

Reactions: IamGaryGnu
Hi all,

I also got 2 PS5 controllers as they work best. They also look nice and fit into the center console.
What I did not find out is, how to make the care downloading games over night.
There is a message in the driver display, that the download continues after leaving the car. But this is wrong. When steam is running a download is active, it ends when I close the door.
It does not matter if I lock the car, everything stopped already.

Any idea, how to make the car downloading the games over night using my WLAN?

Thanks
Michi
I found the same issue. i've also gone as far as leaving my door open (for a little while) when i didn't want to the car to shut off steam.
I also tried playing the witcher iii - which took me days and days to download, and well...it didn't work. steam took something like 10 minutes to fire up and get me past multiple witcher start pages...and then blackness. maybe if i had another 10 minutes it would have worked. MAYBE.
i also couldnt' get Hades to work with the ps5 controller - the controller IS synced to the car, and seen. and it was completely dead for Hades. I tried for about 3 minutes, which was the sum total of my steam playing time in the car.
So far, it's bragging rights (maybe) but not functional - at least not for me.

I found the same issue. i've also gone as far as leaving my door open (for a little while) when i didn't want to the car to shut off steam.
I also tried playing the witcher iii - which took me days and days to download, and well...it didn't work. steam took something like 10 minutes to fire up and get me past multiple witcher start pages...and then blackness. maybe if i had another 10 minutes it would have worked. MAYBE.
i also couldnt' get Hades to work with the ps5 controller - the controller IS synced to the car, and seen. and it was completely dead for Hades. I tried for about 3 minutes, which was the sum total of my steam playing time in the car.
So far, it's bragging rights (maybe) but not functional - at least not for me.
Hi,

I guess I found a workaround. I entered the car using the passenger door. There I open steam and start the download. When you then close the door, the app stays open (most of the time, not always....) and the download continues.
Witcher III was also my 'huge' download. Took me days. And WLAN seems not be faster then 250 MBit. Most of the time only 30-70. I tried several Internet Connections with 1 GBit speed, but the Model X Plaid does not go faster.
Plaid WLAN would be nice ;-)

This is such a pain in the ass 🤬. With my phone’s internet connection, it will take days 🤯

Attachments

• 1697943800087.png
    1697943800087.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 72