Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering rack failure on plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got this back from Tesla

Attachments

• IMG_4059.jpeg
    IMG_4059.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 128
Were you moving the wheel? Was it just making the noise while sitting there? Were any accessories on? AC or heat? It doesn't sound like the air suspension compressor.

Can you hear the noise inside the car or just outside?

I get rattles on small bumbs at low speed and now vibration in the steering wheel at low speed. I get from time to time a loud screeching noise when I turn the wheel. They first thought the rattle and vibration was due to failing front half shafts. They replaced those and tightened and inspected everything else. Still rattles and vibration. Now they are blaming some aftermarket rotors and pads I got installed. Those parts where checked and torque correctly by the installers. That is not problem

You won't like my answer, but if you want to pursue the noise issue, put your car totally back to stock. Tesla is VERY mod-unfriendly. Put the stock rotors and pads and go from there.

There are more posts on here than I can count regarding Tesla's unwillingness to do anything when there are aftermarket parts somewhere in the possible chain of what could be causing your issue. There is almost no other way Tesla will proceed. I've seen in most Tesla SCs techs that are trained to replace a part like it was on an assembly line and without any good troubleshooting skills. There are some of course, I don't want to paint with too broad a brush. They don't care if the part you replaced of theirs was with something 100x better, it isn't a factory part and they are just assembly line workers.

Your only other options are to find an outside shop on your dime, to troubleshoot and repair or just live with it.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Thanks for your advice. I’m gonna do that. This is my 3rd tesla and the last one. I’m seriously thinking of getting a Rivian R1T. The charge rate is holding me back and the massive depreciation that Elon musk did on the model s. I am underwater on it.
I want to support tesla but there quality control is not helping.
The car has a lot going for it tho.
Like, Tesla’s charge network is the best , there in car tech is the best.
The breath take acceleration.
So I guess I’m gonna live with it

Good luck and I hope you resolve it. That is why I don't bother modding my Teslas. I wanted to upgrade the brakes on my Plaid. I didn't go aftermarket and ordered when the track pack big brake kit came out, just to avoid these kinds of hassles.

As for depreciation, Tesla isn't the only one getting hammered though Tesla price changes didn't help. The Taycan, Panamera, etc. are getting crushed too. I think the S might have done better if Tesla hadn't adjusted their pricing so many times and caused instability in the market.

So far it is awesome. Absolutely worth the money. Great brakes, updated software for track mode, top speed unlock (200 mph) and a warranty. What's not to like? Price wasn't cheap but top spec stuff; AP calipers and Surface Transform rotors.

No half shaft issues. I do have the vibration at 38-42 but it is very mild seems less after the brake install. The first rear tires were gone in 5k miles, with excessive inner tire wear. I added the Macsboost camber kit, got a new alignment in low and so far 2k miles on my new rears, they pretty much look brand new. I have 21's which are the problem children.

The kit is referenced below. Basically, some shims that once installed help reduce the excessive negative camber. Often the toe setting for the rear is wrong. So I had it all aligned once done. I think I spent about $400 total out of pocket for the parts and alignment. Less than one tire so a great ROI.

Feel free to ping me offline if you want to know more. I don't work for the company, just a happy customer saving a lot of money on rear tires now.

macsboost.com/product/macsboost-tesla-s-x-camber-kit-2021-palladium/

My car is stock ride height. Too many dips in the road here that I barely clear on very high. Sort of a drainage thing. Mine is a 2022. From some of the reading, it seems that the wear for the halfshafts is accelerated if you hit it hard while turning. I've always been careful not to do that with AWD cars on surfaces with good traction and tight turns. So far mine are holding up well from what I can tell.

I've definitely launched it a few times but almost always in a straight line. My vibration is almost imperceptible now. I had to look hard to find it before the brakes.

I am still staggered but going to square 20's. They are on order, just waiting for them to show up.

I don't think I can drop my car at all. My nose barely clears some areas here when creeping at 5 mph and the car is as high as it will go stock. My Y sometimes would grind its nose if I wasn't very careful and it has a shorter nose than the S. My 3 is pretty compact up front and I still have to watch it. My wife has grounded it a few times. We have a hitch on it and just pulling into our street, if we don't get at an angle, the hitch mount will drag.

Thanks. If I lived somewhere else, I could lower my car. As it is, I am stuck living with it at the stock height. I do default to low where I can and have the car set to rise in all the problem areas. I still have to be extra careful. It is like navigating tank traps on the roads in some places. They made the roads like drainage ditches you have to drive through.

One was so deep that I hit the nose of the LR (when I thought it has raised) it literally stopped the car while going about 5-6 mph. A full stop like I hit a wall.