Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel slightly off...took to SC...and now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since delivery of MY, I noticed the Steering Wheel was off 5-10% to the right. It was either alignment or the Steering Wheel is off a spline, etc. The vehicle appeared to go straight with the wheel off-center 5-10%. Regardless, I was going to let the SC techs take care of it.

After picking up the car from SC, the alignment seems perfect. Drives straight......I checked the invoice and it said they performed an alignment...not readjusting the steering wheel.

I then noticed when I turn all the way to the right or left (turning radius), it is now limited 5-10% to the right compared to turning all the way to the left....this is by looking at the steering wheel (not from outside).

Again, alignment is perfect and drives straight...but is the above the function of them doing an alignment vs not adjusting the steering wheel on the spline?

Since delivery of MY, I noticed the Steering Wheel was off 5-10% to the right. It was either alignment or the Steering Wheel is off a spline, etc. The vehicle appeared to go straight with the wheel off-center 5-10%. Regardless, I was going to let the SC techs take care of it.

After picking up the car from SC, the alignment seems perfect. Drives straight......I checked the invoice and it said they performed an alignment...not readjusting the steering wheel.

I then noticed when I turn all the way to the right or left (turning radius), it is now limited 5-10% to the right compared to turning all the way to the left....this is by looking at the steering wheel (not from outside).

Again, alignment is perfect and drives straight...but is the above the function of them doing an alignment vs not adjusting the steering wheel on the spline?
If you watch the YouTube videos for installing the steering wheel it seems it would be very difficult to have the wheel off a spline since there appears to be a centering groove that is used to mount - the wheel wouldn't mount (without brute force) unless the centering groove is aligned. So...I would think your issue was "fixed" with an alignment. See if this link gets you to the video - go to the installation tab.

Model 3 & Y - Sport Grip Full Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel - Only $999

Could be, but honestly my factory alignment was garbage. If they set the wheel straight and aligned the car, I'd be happy with that - Better for your tires. That's what they did for me. I haven't checked maximum turning radius in both directions, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's somewhat limited in some direction.

Could be, but honestly my factory alignment was garbage. If they set the wheel straight and aligned the car, I'd be happy with that - Better for your tires. That's what they did for me. I haven't checked maximum turning radius in both directions, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's somewhat limited in some direction.

Thank you for your assurance. I just did some test runs....Alignment is near perfect now but it's now limited by a little when turning all the way to the right. This tells me the root cause was the steering wheel was off-center....so instead of fixing that...they just did an alignment. I'm not going to turn all the way to the right often and the turning radius is still impressive but this still sucks....wtf...they should have gotten it right the first time

Slight bit of good news is that I now can turn further to the left...lol....again it's slight but this is all annoying

Adjusting the wheel is part of doing an alignment but they likely assumed the wheel was installed correctly. If your not happy with the work, be sure to make another service appointment and show them what it is doing now. If the wheel turns too much to one side it may damage the inner fender liner if someone cranks it to 11 on that side.

Adjusting the wheel is part of doing an alignment but they likely assumed the wheel was installed correctly. If your not happy with the work, be sure to make another service appointment and show them what it is doing now. If the wheel turns too much to one side it may damage the inner fender liner if someone cranks it to 11 on that side.

Thanks...I made another SC appt. I hope these guys understand the issue....smh

It's exactly limited to when I initially reported the off-center.....good news is everything is aligned and I don't look down at an off-center steering wheel....but the OCD in me is killing me when I turn all the way to the right right knowing I'm slightly limited now

Reactions: imola.zhp
Thanks...I made another SC appt. I hope these guys understand the issue....smh

It's exactly limited to when I initially reported the off-center.....good news is everything is aligned and I don't look down at an off-center steering wheel....but the OCD in me is killing me when I turn all the way to the right right knowing I'm slightly limited now
Does anyone have any updates of misaligned steering wheel?