Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel squeaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I've had my model 3 for a few months now I notice a squeaking noise coming from the steering wheel and its constantly whenever I turn the wheel. I took it in and they said they grinded the colum down but still doing it. They then said they can't do anything else as of right now but the sound is driving me crazy! Anyone else is having or had the same issue?

Hey there. I had a similar issue/experience. I would hear (and feel) a slight rubbing/squeaking noise whenever I turned my steering wheel. Tesla mobile service came to my house and the tech sprayed some lubricant around the lower part of the steering column. He had to remove a couple of the access panels located at the base of the steering column. Unfortunately, that did not help. So, the tech determined that it was the "upper" steering column that was making the rubbing noise (apparently because it was not properly lubricated during manufacture/assembly). So, they ordered a new upper column. I took my vehicle to the local service center a few weeks later and they installed & adjusted the new steering column. No more rubbing noise and now everything feels/sounds as it should... completely silent. Good luck!!

Reactions: IdaX and BobAbooey
Also, the service advisor told me that when the technician took things apart to replace the upper column, he found a wiring harness was slightly out of place which may have contributed to the rubbing noise I was hearing. So, he adjusted that harness as well.

Finally, for sure, none of the techs at my service center ever suggested grinding down the existing column as a possible solution. I'm surprised your local service center actually did that. If they did, that's just crazy stupid...

Last edited:
I had the same squeaky sound

took it to service and they did the following

Got a quote for 700 something but then invoice was updated as car was under warranty.

Replaced both upper control armsParts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
BOLT,HF,M10-
1.5X87,STL[109],ZNFL,SMAT(1130701-
00-A)
NUT,HF,M10-1.5,
[10],ZNNI,PTP(1111145-00-A)
BOLT,BH,M10-1.5X59,
[10.9],ZNFL,SMAT(1064834-00-B)
FR UPR CTRL ARM ASSY,
RH(1044326-00-J)
FR UPR CTRL ARM ASSY, LEFT
HAND(1044321-00-J)

Hey there. I had a similar issue/experience. I would hear (and feel) a slight rubbing/squeaking noise whenever I turned my steering wheel. Tesla mobile service came to my house and the tech sprayed some lubricant around the lower part of the steering column. He had to remove a couple of the access panels located at the base of the steering column. Unfortunately, that did not help. So, the tech determined that it was the "upper" steering column that was making the rubbing noise (apparently because it was not properly lubricated during manufacture/assembly). So, they ordered a new upper column. I took my vehicle to the local service center a few weeks later and they installed & adjusted the new steering column. No more rubbing noise and now everything feels/sounds as it should... completely silent. Good luck!!
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have the same issue with my Tesla Model X right now. How much did it cost to fix this issue?

Attachments

• 5DB48756-83B8-4042-9957-D0CBF6C8A0B5.png
    5DB48756-83B8-4042-9957-D0CBF6C8A0B5.png
    177.8 KB · Views: 1,427
Tonight, same issue of squeaking sound upon turning steering wheel and acceleration popped up out of nowhere (did not strike anything or run through pot hole, for example) - notified service via the app and now have a service appointment scheduled for tomorrow am…

My BRAND NEW M3 has a squeaky wheel upon delivery. This should not have made it through QC. Overall experience with Tesla has been good but this glaring issue puts a damper on things. Mainly because some or multiple Tesla employees noticed this, ignored it, and allowed a new owner to take delivery of the car this way. Tesla service has been responsive and I have an appt for 1/2 to get it checked.

My 2018 M3 developed the same squeak when the outside temperature reached 80 degrees for a few days. It was squeaking even on straight, smooth roads. The appointment took a few weeks to set up. But, on the day of the appointment, temperature dropped back down into the 60's and the squeaks were gone. Service center can't reproduce the problem so I now have to go back again once the noise is back.

Has any of you have this same experience where the squeaks happen only during hot days?

Mine made the exact sound as mberneis.

the sc replaced the entire steering wheel and modules and still made the squeak. They eventually found it was a hardness rubbing on the shaft and secured it! Have a brand new steering wheel and the squeak is gone. Covered under basic warranty.

Diagnosed and Replaced Steering Column Control Module. Replaced Steering Wheel. While diagnosis harness found rubbing on steering shaft. Verified operation
Correction: Front Suspension Noise Diagnosis
Correction: Module - Steering Column Control (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
STEERING COLUMN 1.00 CONTROL MODULE KOSTAL.(1097662-00-
O)
BOLT RC M16X1.5X26 1.00 PC88 PTP.(1036655-00-
A)
AIRBAG HARNESS 1.00 RETAINING CLIP.
(1028053-00-A)
Correction: Steering Wheel (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
STEERING WHEEL - 1.00 PUR
LEATHER(1490214-00-
B)
BOLT RC M16X1.5X26 1.00 PC88 PTP.(1036655-00-
A)
Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty

Last edited: