Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stock license plate holder saved my car from damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was downtown Austin and someone with a hitch hit my car. My heart sank since I've only had the car 2 months. It looked terrible but after removing the license plate and examining, the stock license plate holder absorbed all of the damage.

The impact mangled my license plate and was hard enough to make some of the adhesive detach around the bracket. One of the screws completely ripped out of the plastic license plate holder and I had to pound my license plate with a rubber mallet to straighten it out.

I'm pretty sure one of the aftermarket license place holders would have made everything worse so I gladly purchased a replacement stock license plate holder ($20) and had Tesla service remove old one and install new one for me ($7).

I checked the dashcam afterwards and saw that they guy in front of me did not have a tow hitch so my guess is they hit my car and then left to a different spot. If one could keep the dashcam running even when you're not in the car, then we could catch some of these fools.

Attachments

• IMG_2017.JPG
    IMG_2017.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2018.JPG
    IMG_2018.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2020.JPG
    IMG_2020.JPG
    291.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2021.JPG
    IMG_2021.JPG