Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The license plate holder has an anti-theft function and comes with a key lock. The plate holder does not squeeze the Tesla plastic grill or paint in the bumper, provides a secure fit on your Tesla.

I don't like the idea of the Snap plate or that bandit setup. I can imagine someone backing into the car and cause that grill be damaged.
If someone is close enough to hit the license plate holder, they would end up hitting the nose of the car anyway. I had the Tesla 3M plate holder on my Model 3, and I can see that the Snap Plate and bandit both stick out just as much. So any plate holder can cause damage if hit. Since trading in my Model 3 and getting a new Model Y Performance, I've decided not to use the Tesla stick on plate holder because I'd like to remove the holder to clean the area and will probably be getting PPF.

I use these push in fasteners to secure the black plate holder to the front. Must drill small holes though.
The left most at the bottom of the image. Pretty easy to do and totally invisible once the license plate is mounted.
push in fastener.JPG

I bought this one from Amazon:
The Original Lockable License Plate Holder for 2020-2023 Tesla Model Y

It comes on Thursday but seems very similar to Snapplate. It may not have the emergency breakaway feature but it's half the cost
A word of caution with those metal knock-offs of Quick Bandit's patented design, is that you're attaching a metal mount to a plastic grille. A strong enough impact will likely cause grille damage, leading to ~$800 in parts and labor to replace.

We designed SnapPlate to break away as a safety feature if more than 25 lbs of force is applied to them because we wanted to make sure that they break before the plastic grille on the car breaks since that's a much more expensive repair. We see it happen most often from car washes and parallel parking accidents. A typical broken SnapPlate can be repaired for $2-15.

Alternatively, we recently launched a new product line called SnapPlate+ where instead of optimizing for safety, we optimized for strength. We've always designed SnapPlate to be our personal ideal license plate mount, but we understand that some customers value strength more than safety, so now we have both options.

Plus if anything ever happens you have a CA, USA human here to help.

That said there's something for everyone!

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of the Snap plate or that bandit setup. I can imagine someone backing into the car and cause that grill be damaged.
I do see a few tow hook alternatives online for the X, but not fond of their design either.
I've reached to usmillworks to see if they will design one for the X but was turned down.
They have the best quality and design and i had it on my bmw.
Your concern matches ours and that's exactly why we created SnapPlate back in 2019. We designed SnapPlate with vehicle and grille safety in mind with engineered breakaway features at the joint and rear tabs. These features keep your car safe and repairs at $2-15 vs ~$800.

Dated but still accurate video describes this better. 👇

Your concern matches ours and that's exactly why we created SnapPlate back in 2019. We designed SnapPlate with vehicle and grille safety in mind with engineered breakaway features at the joint and rear tabs. These features keep your car safe and repairs at $2-15 vs ~$800.

Dated but still accurate video describes this better. 👇
Ok, I'm convinced. Thanks for the video.

Reactions: EveryAmp
I don't understand the fear of drilling holes in the front bumper to mount the license plate.
The front bumper of Tesla is plastic and once the license plate holder is in place, it should be there with the car forever. The holes are drilled with the plate hold already glued to the front. There is no chance for mis-alignment of the holes. Glue + push in rivets will hold it there for good.

• Disagree
Reactions: DanDi58 and Resist
I don't understand the fear of drilling holes in the front bumper to mount the license plate.
The front bumper of Tesla is plastic and once the license plate holder is in place, it should be there with the car forever. The holes are drilled with the plate hold already glued to the front. There is no chance for mis-alignment of the holes. Glue + push in rivets will hold it there for good.
Because real car people don't want holes in their cars, unless they came from the factory that way. Besides, road debris, water and other gunk always finds a way into the hole.

Reactions: fredzos
I have a TesFram but not yet installed it but now I am considering a SnapPlate since I street park most days and am concerned about damage to the grill if/when someone gives me a love tap. I just looked at the Quick Bandit…why is that one so expensive? It’s twice as much as anyone else’s solution?

I don’t know if I can consider myself a “real car person,” but I also don’t like unnecessary holes. Especially in plastic that can deform over time.
FYI for the people talking about holes, note it does not apply to Teslas. Tesla uses an adhesive based front plate holder and the plate is screwed onto that. There are no holes being made on the front bumper and that plate holder can be removed with no damage by using a hair dryer to soften the adhesive and a plastic trim tool to slip into it and slowly work the adhesive free (some have also used floss or fishing line).

Last edited:
FYI for the people talking about holes, note it does not apply to Teslas. Tesla uses an adhesive based front plate holder and the plate is screwed onto that. There are no holes being made on the front bumper and that plate holder can be removed with no damage by using a hair dryer to soften the adhesive and a plastic trim tool to slip into it and slowly work the adhesive free.
Uh yeah…. We’re also talking about people choosing to add their own holes here, which does “apply” to Tesla.

Uh yeah…. We’re also talking about people choosing to add their own holes here, which does “apply” to Tesla.
I've never seen anyone actually drill holes on a Tesla to mount a plate or even that mentioned on the forum as an idea, given the plate holder provided with the car does not require doing so and is much easier to install with basic tools like a screw driver (not everyone has a drill at home). So I don't think that is even a consideration, especially for someone considering this alternative in the first place.

I'm pretty sure this idea was originally created for people that don't want to have a front plate in the first place and this allows them to satisfy a "fix it ticket" (or preempt one in high enforcement areas) while allowing easy removal so they can run without a front plate most of the time (that's why the mechanism was designed to let you just snap the assembly out so easily, without needing to use a separate tool). Had nothing to do with drilling holes as no one was doing that in the first place.

Last edited:
I've never seen anyone actually drill holes on a Tesla to mount a plate or even that mentioned on the forum as an idea, given the plate holder provided with the car does not require doing so and is much easier to install with basic tools like a screw driver (not everyone has a drill at home). So I don't think that is even a consideration, especially for someone considering this alternative in the first place.

I'm pretty sure this idea was originally created for people that don't want to have a front plate in the first place and this allows them to satisfy a "fix it ticket" (or preempt one in high enforcement areas) while allowing easy removal so they can run without a front plate most of the time. Had nothing to do with drilling holes as no one was doing that in the first place.

Someone posted this just earlier in THIS very thread.

I use these push in fasteners to secure the black plate holder to the front. Must drill small holes though.
The left most at the bottom of the image. Pretty easy to do and totally invisible once the license plate is mounted.
View attachment 1016089
and this

Then there's a whole other thread... even listed as a similar thread to this one... Drill Front License Plate

So, I'm not sure what you're lacking in terms of what you haven't seen.