Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange damage to rear bumper of Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While doing a first wash of my Model 3, I discovered a strange damage to the rear bumper. The damage is to the edge of the plastic bumper that sits flush with the metal counterpart. The metal is flawless. The gouges are only present on the plastic which sits flush with the metal. Has anyone seen this issue? I live in a rainy state and the rain made it difficult to spot this until now.

I've taken this to service and brought it to the attention of the attention of one of the senior managers.

Attachments

• IMG_20190317_162841.jpg
    IMG_20190317_162841.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_20190317_162905.jpg
    IMG_20190317_162905.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 150
Are those scuff marks on the plastic below the seam, or is it just reflection? If they are scuff marks, somebody may have hit your car in a parking lot and the plastic flexed when hit. The flexing may have bulged out the top just enough to crack the paint, or allow the other car to abrade it without damaging the metal parts.

I did have some damage along the front bumper seam in front that looks similar to that, but I figured it was from a rock hitting there. I haven't washed my car yet this year, but will probably will next weekend now that spring has sprung here in the NW.

Are those scuff marks on the plastic below the seam, or is it just reflection? If they are scuff marks, somebody may have hit your car in a parking lot and the plastic flexed when hit. The flexing may have bulged out the top just enough to crack the paint, or allow the other car to abrade it without damaging the metal parts.

I did have some damage along the front bumper seam in front that looks similar to that, but I figured it was from a rock hitting there. I haven't washed my car yet this year, but will probably will next weekend now that spring has sprung here in the NW.

There are no scuff marks below the seam. The bumper is flawless except for the gouges along the edge.