Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange Noise After Leaving Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this has happened three times now where when I get out of my car I have this loud consistent noise coming from what sounds like under the front of the car. This last time it went for a good 45 seconds and then at the very end of it there was this sound of almost like hydraulic pressure release and then it stopped. I took video of it and have a shortened clip of the last 7 seconds that I'd like to post her but I wasn't sure how to get the video to upload on this post. Can anyone help me with that? I can see where to embed a video link but not upload a video.
Thanks

Air suspension? If so, that's the compressor cycling. Especially if you have a suspension height change near your stop.
I do have Air Suspension and I have it set to increase the height of the car when I'm coming to my house because I have a high curb and I don't want to worry about scraping the front end. If this is the cause for the noise, how come it has only done it a few times in the 10 months that I've had the car?
I also finally just uploaded this to youtube so I can embed it here. Hopefully this works. This is the last 7 seconds of a 45 second clip I took and this noise was going on the entire 45 seconds.

I do have Air Suspension and I have it set to increase the height of the car when I'm coming to my house because I have a high curb and I don't want to worry about scraping the front end. If this is the cause for the noise, how come it has only done it a few times in the 10 months that I've had the car?
I also finally just uploaded this to youtube so I can embed it here. Hopefully this works. This is the last 7 seconds of a 45 second clip I took and this noise was going on the entire 45 seconds.

That sounds like a fault in the air ride system. I’d have it looked at by service. Mine makes a noise as well but it’s more in line with what you’d expect from a compressor. It’s also a much shorter period of time.

This has been happening to me for quite some time now intermittently. I don't see any issues *yet?* with my air suspension tho. It might be worth mentioning that I have to change my suspension to "High" when parking at home.

This has been happening to me for quite some time now intermittently. I don't see any issues *yet?* with my air suspension tho. It might be worth mentioning that I have to change my suspension to "High" when parking at home.
Mine is changed to "high" as well prior to pulling in to my driveway. It's weird though that this doesn't happen often even though it changes to "high" every time I pull in. Maybe I'll contact my local service center and take the video with me to show them since it's impossible to reproduce

Just to remove a potential point of confusion here. The noise doesn't necessarily need to correlate with changing suspension levels. This system stores compressed air by cycling the compressor when the tank gets low. Changing the suspension level will use that compressed air more quickly increasing the likelihood of experiencing the compressor cycle.

My experience with Range Rover suspensions is that the compressed air system can store just about 2 full raise and lower cycles before it runs out. One does this before getting it on the lift since they don't have a "jack" mode. The RR compressor cycles more often and doesn't make this noise. So I'm guessing here that for Tesla, 4-5 cycles from normal to high will use up the stored air.