Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck at a Super charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Something happened last week and I want to check if anyone else experienced this. Im in Sydney Australia and went on a 800km road trip to Byron. Model X75d 2017 Supercharged 3 times on the way up and 2 on the way back. At the 3rd one 100km from home my car wouldn't charge in any of the 6 stalls, 2 x 3rd party dc fast chargers and 2 destination chargers.

I called support and being after hours was transferred to US. The result was the car is still operating(31km) so not a warranty issue. He offered a tow at my own expense of about $900 plus the $250 for the uber to get home. Then he hung up. Next call was rude aswell, i see you called before so you know your options - do you accept the charges. End of call. She told me there is a power outage in my area and would accept the fact i was looking at 2 other teslas charging next to me.

I decided to get towed to my house as my car was full of luggage from holiday. At home the car just started charging.

This is the second time this happened. I feel I cannot trust my car to go further than my battery range from home. Especially if Tesla service will abandon me like this.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
Hi all,

Something happened last week and I want to check if anyone else experienced this. Im in Sydney Australia and went on a 800km road trip to Byron. Model X75d 2017 Supercharged 3 times on the way up and 2 on the way back. At the 3rd one 100km from home my car wouldn't charge in any of the 6 stalls, 2 x 3rd party dc fast chargers and 2 destination chargers.

I called support and being after hours was transferred to US. The result was the car is still operating(31km) so not a warranty issue. He offered a tow at my own expense of about $900 plus the $250 for the uber to get home. Then he hung up. Next call was rude aswell, i see you called before so you know your options - do you accept the charges. End of call. She told me there is a power outage in my area and would accept the fact i was looking at 2 other teslas charging next to me.

I decided to get towed to my house as my car was full of luggage from holiday. At home the car just started charging.

This is the second time this happened. I feel I cannot trust my car to go further than my battery range from home. Especially if Tesla service will abandon me like this.

.... if the car won't charge then that is a warranty issue. Just a phone call? No email exchanges? This all seems incredibly suspicious.

I had one such issue a long time ago and the charger connection would turn red or flash red, forget which. I tried several, and it would act like it was going to charge but didn't. I was worried about the range as well. There were several other cars at the charger that were not having issues. I left, went to another charger about 30 miles away and didn't have a problem there and haven't since. Did you try doing a restart on the computer?

.... if the car won't charge then that is a warranty issue. Just a phone call? No email exchanges? This all seems incredibly suspicious.

Does it? You try and find an email address for Tesla Australia. It doesnt exist. There are only 2 ways to contact Tesla in Australia. 1800 number thats forwarded to the US after hours. And the contact form on the website - no response there.

I have hit reply to every single email Tesla has ever sent me. This mailbox is no longer monitored. I have used [email protected] with the same response.

I would go ahead and schedule service with the "car intermittently won't charge" description. Also make sure to include timestamp when it happened, they would be able to look up logs. Are you far away from SC?
Thats the plan and its booked in for Friday. Im just still baffled how a car under warranty can cost me $600 to get home... it wasn't broken they say. Must be user error they said.
Meanwhile I install EV chargers professionally so I sort of know how they work.

What exactly was the car doing when you plugged into a charge port? Any errors on the dash? Did the charging ring light up at all? Stay blue, red, etc?

An issue with DC fast charging (e.g. superchargers) would not prevent the car from charging with a wall charger. If there was a power outage (and it could be), I would say return to the same supercharger and try again. Be sure to record video of whatever your car is/is not doing so you can show the service center.

Light went dark blue for 60 sec then orange.

Dash said Ready to charge for the same 60 sec then changed to Check external charging equipment. Other cars was charging successfully on a stall that didn't work
F