Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck at a supercharger, charge cord won’t disc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went through the Owners manual procedure for the manual release of the charge cord and can’t locate the release lever. Does anyone know if there’s a manual release lever for a 2020 MS? Thanks
Manually Releasing Charge Cable If the usual methods for releasing a charge cable from the charge port (using the charge handle release button, touchscreen, or mobile app) do not work, carefully follow these steps:
1. Ensure that Model S is not actively charging by displaying the charging screen on the touchscreen. If necessary, touch Stop Charging.
2. Open the rear trunk.
3. Open the flap on the left side of the trunk side trim.
4. Press and hold the charge port's manual release lever towards the front of the vehicle to unlatch the charge cable.
5. Pull the charge cable from the charge port.
6. Close the flap on the left side of the trunk side trim.

WARNING Do not touch or attempt to remove the orange High Voltage cover. Failure to follow these instructions can result in electric shock and serious injury.
NOTE: If your vehicle does not have a charge port manual release lever, discontinue this procedure and contact your closest Service Center.
NOTE: The orientation of the manual release lever may vary depending on market region.5. Pull the charge cable from the charge port.6. Close the flap on the left side of the trunk side trim
port-1.PNG

port-2.PNG

port-3.PNG

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
Ok, it’s not a lever, it’s part of the locking mechanism that I can hear moving from outside. I’ve moved it forward and aft to it’s limits but the cord won’t release. This is a bit of inconvenience on a 2000 mile drive :(

Ok, it’s not a lever, it’s part of the locking mechanism that I can hear moving from outside. I’ve moved it forward and aft to it’s limits but the cord won’t release. This is a bit of inconvenience on a 2000 mile drive :(
I'd say :(. That is really strange, if it is sliding then the wand should be able to be removed (is it just sticky? (had to ask)). Is there a support number on the supercharger pedestal or cabinets?
1 (888) 518-3752 is the general #

This probably won't help, but I remember on my first road trip thinking the Supercharger cable was stuck and locked to the car for 40 minutes. It turned out to be just a much tighter fit than my home wall connector, or local superchargers. I wasn't familiar enough with the different colors on the ring back then, but if it's a light blue color, not green (charging) or dark blue (waiting to charge), it's not locked, and just requires a good yank.

In my situation, after getting nowhere with Tesla Roadside Assistance, another owner came to evaluate and gave a firm tug, which pulled it out fine.

Reactions: mongo
So roadside middle says they have an opening middle middle next week. Good thing there are hotels nearby, right?

Thanks for the suggestions
This probably won't help, but I remember on my first road trip thinking the Supercharger cable was stuck and locked to the car for 40 minutes. It turned out to be just a much tighter fit than my home wall connector, or local superchargers. I wasn't familiar enough with the different colors on the ring back then, but if it's a light blue color, not green (charging) or dark blue (waiting to charge), it's not locked, and just requires a good yank.

In my situation, after getting nowhere with Tesla Roadside Assistance, another owner came to evaluate and gave a firm tug, which pulled it out fine.

Thanks, it’s a little loose in the port but I gave that a try anyway. Still locked.
So roadside assistance is scheduled Oct 16th ... wow

So roadside middle says they have an opening middle middle next week. Good thing there are hotels nearby, right?
I hope it gets straightened out sooner than that.

I wonder if the locking pin broke free, that's the only thing I can think of since the mechanism is moving.
Maybe if the wand is aligned just right, and then the manual latch is moved, it will release. (sorry, best I can think of)

I am so glad to get this information, as I would panic. Was the manual release to just push the whole black bottom of the orange connector toward the front of the car? I looked at my car, and I really can't identify the manual release part that you move to release. It certainly is not obvious.