Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

#stuck in the mud

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Try to turn on Slip Start. That will allow the tires to spin more and prevent motor torque reduction, which helps with added grunt to free the car.

Allowing Wheel Slip
To allow the wheels to spin at a limited speed, you can enable Slip Start. Slip Start can be enabled at any speed, however it is less effective at higher speeds.
Under normal conditions, Slip Start should not be enabled. Enable it only in circumstances where you deliberately want the wheels to spin, such as:
• Starting on a loose surface, such as gravel or snow.
• Driving in deep snow, sand or mud.
• Rocking out of a hole or deep rut.

To allow the wheels to spin, touch Controls > Driving > Traction Control > Slip Start.

Heard the weather down south there is bad. KCBS just announced some highway closures down there—grapevine area due to snowI think they said. Crappy way to start Thanksgiving. Good luck getting on your way. Was this from a mud slide?

AAA does free vehicle extractions if you have membership. You might be feeling on the dim side today but I don’t think it’s as bad a somehow getting one of your wheels over a parking block and needing an extraction (my fun, bright moment at the beginning of the month—AAA was great BTW). Hope you end up with a Happy Thanksgiving.

E2C1BF8D-C13E-4D84-BD97-D78C853F68E9.jpeg
E2C1BF8D-C13E-4D84-BD97-D78C853F68E9.jpeg
7A8E2C99-3B28-4F20-A112-80D9534A43CB.jpeg
Anyone owning a Tesla. FAMILIARIZE yourself with Tow mode. If I wasn’t aware I would be in trouble. Slip start also didn’t work. It was just too much. When I was getting extracted my car was sinking 4 inches or so into the mud back umpire.

Thank God for AAA. I’m gonna buy the tow truck guy a gift card to some restaurant or something. Cool guy named Fred.

I tried to use my passenger floor mat to get me out and it didn’t work. It was so muddy I left it over there. I’ll have to drive back and pick it up. I dropped my phone in the mud. Mud on the foot pedals. Mud on the drivers floor mat. Not my smartest move to be honest.

I only took one pic. As you can imagine I wasn’t in the greatest mood.

edit: I went back to get my floor mats armed with plastic bags on my foot, and trash bags for my muddy floor mats.

Attachments

• 520CC62A-8CA7-4A4F-9BA2-A5A3FC23E7BB.jpeg
    520CC62A-8CA7-4A4F-9BA2-A5A3FC23E7BB.jpeg
    422.4 KB · Views: 114
  • DC7DAFBE-EFDE-4658-B8E3-2462EC27F96F.jpeg
    DC7DAFBE-EFDE-4658-B8E3-2462EC27F96F.jpeg
    1,009 KB · Views: 50
  • 5F78BE08-F3BA-4324-BA54-F329F295D27A.jpeg
    5F78BE08-F3BA-4324-BA54-F329F295D27A.jpeg
    900.1 KB · Views: 52
  • DCA7A784-B14C-4468-B68A-8B6AA03DCABD.jpeg
    DCA7A784-B14C-4468-B68A-8B6AA03DCABD.jpeg
    894.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 35A3288D-C7BF-421D-99A1-5811D65C0D65.jpeg
    35A3288D-C7BF-421D-99A1-5811D65C0D65.jpeg
    848.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: SageBrush and KenC
Anyone owning a Tesla. FAMILIARIZE yourself with Tow mode. If I wasn’t aware I would be in trouble. Slip start also didn’t work. It was just too much. When I was getting extracted my car was sinking 4 inches or so into the mud back umpire.

Thank God for AAA. I’m gonna buy the tow truck guy a gift card to some restaurant or something. Cool guy named Fred.

I tried to use my passenger floor mat to get me out and it didn’t work. It was so muddy I left it over there. I’ll have to drive back and pick it up. I dropped my phone in the mud. Mud on the foot pedals. Mud on the drivers floor mat. Not my smartest move to be honest.

I only took one pic. As you can imagine I wasn’t in the greatest mood.

LOL I told my AAA tow truck driver I loved him!

Looking at your pic, I wouldn't feel bad about that. Not sure I would have suspected lots of mud covering the road and it's not always easy to discern something like that as you are approaching. Kind of like seeing water on the roadway and not knowing how deep it might be.

Glad you are out of the mud and sounds like a mess to clean up, but sure the feeling of freedom is one worth savoring and being thankful for. I had no idea how I was going to get my car out of my situation. Due to my wheel being in between the parking block and a parking lot curb I think tow mode wasn't an option. Plus I have AWD so think that complicates things. That's why I called AAA. I did know about possibly using tow mode and knew there was such a thing and where to find the instructions. AAA however was aware of Tow Mode and Tesla Roadside Service said if the tow truck driver had any problems to give them a call and they would work with him on the phone. Didn't need to call back. They were sure he would be able to extricate my car though.

Have a nice Turkey Day.

Last edited: