Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stupid Charge Station Locations...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The core issue is that many charging stations are in rather silly, not useful places. L2 charging stations need to be placed at destinations, or within a short walk of destinations. Otherwise, they are of very limited utility. Chargers at a movie theater make sense, chargers at a Museum, Zoo, or other such location also make alot of sense. Any place that people will spend 2+ hours at would be a good location for a charger. I have always thought that museums, zoo, stadiums, and theme parks would be the best possible places for public chargers, as people will often travel a distance to reach these destinations, spend a significant amount of time at them, and then go home. If a museum has L2 chargers available, all of the sudden they are a destination for every EV owner within range (even if it is 1 way range)

It is my own (worthless) opinion that some charging stations appear in the oddest places because:
a) They got a government grant to put it there,
and/or
b) The charging station manufacturer has a *really* good salesman.

But what will happen once this charging station thing takes off, and electric cars become popular?
Will I go to the museum and find all the charging stations occupied since 9:00am, and they aren't leaving until 5:00pm?

-- Ardie
A different kind of range anxiety

But what will happen once this charging station thing takes off, and electric cars become popular?
Will I go to the museum and find all the charging stations occupied since 9:00am, and they aren't leaving until 5:00pm?

I would hope not. I know of an increasing number of companies/organizations that have put in chargers for staff/others to use. A good example is USF putting in charge stations for Faculty and Students.

Maybe the light post got damaged, and putting an EVSE there was cheaper than a new light post...

Speaking of which. What's the price comparison of putting in a light pole or a Charge station? And what is the energy use of each?

The light helps many people see at night when using energy and the charging car keeps the air clean.

I'm coming to the conclusion that 75% of charge stations have stupid placing. As the infrastructure develops in this area it's nice to see municipalities stepping up but why do they insist in putting one charge station here and another there, scattered like confetti in the wind?

a) Its annoying when you're looking for a charge station and there are 2 but they're placed at opposite ends of a big parking area. Why not put them next to each other to save driving around if the first one is occupied? Do city planners think that we can't walk?

b) I have a theory that this placing of charge stations every mile or so can also contribute to consumer range anxiety. Think about it, Joe the Plumber will look and wonder why these few EV's need plug-in stations every couple of miles...it's going to reinforce existing misconceptions.

> a) There's nothing here except public bathrooms and a kids playground. [NigelM]

I see blue water, a park, and a handful of cars all on an isolated island. Must be somethin' to do, like maybe skip stones across the water or just breathe the salt air.
--

The Tampa Airport has a Charging Station in the Cell Phone Lot. So you could maybe get 5 miles of range while you are waiting for your loved one to call you and say "Come get me, I'm at baggage claim". More than likely, as soon as you plug in, you'll get the call.

But wait, it get's better. The Tampa Airport Valet Parking lot also has a charging station. You can't drive there though. They have to take the car from you and then the parking attendant has to figure out how to open the charge port door and get the car to begin charging.

And of course it makes perfect sense that (also at the Tampa airport) neither the Short Term lot, nor any of the Long Term lots have a charging station. Perhaps ChargePoint or someone else will ultimately offer inexpensive 110V charging stations for locations where cars typically park long term?

This is what is really needed, not only for long term parking, but also for employee charging at work (an 8-9 hour work day would provide a meaningful charge on L1)

Not sure 8 to 9 hours of L1 charging would produce meaningful range. Figure about 3 miles of range per hour for Level 1 in the real world. That's about 25 miles of range for an 8 hour shift. Not bad for a large employer that needs to provide an affordable solution for dozens of cars right away. All major airports need this solution in large numbers for their long term parking lots.

Remote, yes. But I charged there waiting for the Mote Aquarium to open up. My wife stood by the Mote charger and called me when it opened. Even so, the walk was reasonably short had I stayed there.

Arguably we can never have enough charge stations, but as they start to proliferate there are going to be some which show up in dumb locations. This one just got installed on City Island in Sarasota and begs the question "What are you going to do while your vehicle is charging?"....

a) There's nothing here except public bathrooms and a kids playground.
b) It's 10 miles from the Interstate (and then's plenty of other charge stations near the I-75)
c) It's over 4 miles to downtown (which has charge stations and free parking on the charge spots)
d) It's 2 miles from the nearest beach access.
e) It's 1½ miles from the nearest shopping area.
f) It's ½ mile from the nearest restaurant.
g) It's ½ mile from Mote Marine Aquarium. (Shameless plug! But why didn't they put it there?!)
h) There's lot's of nice open space if you want to walk your dog, but if you live locally why not just charge at home?

View attachment 4645

View attachment 4646

View attachment 4647

The Tampa Airport has a Charging Station in the Cell Phone Lot. So you could maybe get 5 miles of range while you are waiting for your loved one to call you and say "Come get me, I'm at baggage claim". More than likely, as soon as you plug in, you'll get the call.

But wait, it get's better. The Tampa Airport Valet Parking lot also has a charging station. You can't drive there though. They have to take the car from you and then the parking attendant has to figure out how to open the charge port door and get the car to begin charging.

And of course it makes perfect sense that (also at the Tampa airport) neither the Short Term lot, nor any of the Long Term lots have a charging station. Perhaps ChargePoint or someone else will ultimately offer inexpensive 110V charging stations for locations where cars typically park long term?

Apparently, ClipperCreek has just the right product for long term charging at airports, etc.
http://www.clippercreek.com/uploads/ClipperCreek%20-%20ACS_v1.pdf

I guess I didn't know that the J-1772 connector is also used for 110V. The car figures it out when it's connected.?.