Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subpar Sales and ordering process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a Model Y on order since end of April. The process has been disappointing to say the least: lack of transparency as to delivery dates, location and registration process. Financing options and sources confusing. Online access to platform inoperable due to “overload” since yesterday when I received message (finally) to schedule delivery date. So many legal limitations in Michigan (difficult to lease, no transfer of plate service). Tesla should walk people through the process better.

Honestly, it's been a disaster lately, but I think it's all due to the radar shortage. It's normally not this bad.

They've been doing some changes online which is why it looked "overloaded". Sales have no idea what's going on, and they can't even look into your account because their systems are down on their end too. Speculation is that the lack of radars forced Tesla to ultimately decide to ship cars without them and rush a vision only approach.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Honestly, it's been a disaster lately, but I think it's all due to the radar shortage. It's normally not this bad.

They've been doing some changes online which is why it looked "overloaded". Sales have no idea what's going on, and they can't even look into your account because their systems are down on their end too. Speculation is that the lack of radars forced Tesla to ultimately decide to ship cars without them and rush a vision only approach.
That's a pretty big speculation. Source?

They did for me, just visit your local Tesla Gallery Store and they'll help you out.
Oh wait, you cant. Blame on your state on that one. :rolleyes:

My sales advisor works 9-5 at my local Tesla Gallery Store. It was very helpful to drop by in person to ask for any clarifications, just give them a heads up.
I did visit a local store for a test drive. But after that I was contacted by an out of state Tesla person. I assumed it’s all online especially because of the legal restrictions in Michigan where for the longest time they weren’t even allowed to sell and people had to have their cars shipped in a flatbed from Ohio. Unreal. I understand that Tesla doesn’t want to have a vast retail network like traditional manufactures. But they need to have a much better, ie transparent online process to make up for the lack of salespersons.

That's a shame if the process is indeed this discombobulated. Our MX was the last car that we bought from Tesla in 2019 and the process couldn't have been any simpler, We actually used the MCU on my MS to place the order. The MS back in 2016 was also a very pleasant experience and seamless experience. Both instances had trade-ins.

That's a pretty big speculation. Source?
I know that sales don't know anything because I've been talking to them in person. They can't get a hold of the system because of all the changes and they said they weren't told anything about the deliveries. They said that they were changing their systems.

The online changes are now visible with the removal of radar and introduction of tesla vision.

Speculation about radar shortage is just speculation. You can see the same thing parroted around this forum and on reddit. Check the Autonomous section. Basically stemmed from a reddit user saying BMW gave them an option to take a car without adaptive cruise control or wait months until they shortage is resolved. The assumption is that Tesla is facing similar issues.

Have a Model Y on order since end of April. The process has been disappointing to say the least: lack of transparency as to delivery dates, location and registration process. Financing options and sources confusing. Online access to platform inoperable due to “overload” since yesterday when I received message (finally) to schedule delivery date. So many legal limitations in Michigan (difficult to lease, no transfer of plate service). Tesla should walk people through the process better.
Welcome to Tesla!

I am also in MI and also have a MY order in as of May 16. My SA in Grand Rapids and Tesla customer service noted that deliveries in Michigan only occur every three months, with June and September being the next two. Hopefully you’ll be in the June group.

You're not the very first person in Michigan to have ordered a Tesla. There are many people on TMC that have ordered Teslas, including MY.

You can "Google it" or try reading the various threads on TMC and it'll tell you everything you need to know about ordering, payment, delivery, Supercharging, maintenance, problems and fixes, accessories, traveling tips, ....etc....

I am also in MI and also have a MY order in as of May 16. My SA in Grand Rapids and Tesla customer service noted that deliveries in Michigan only occur every three months, with June and September being the next two. Hopefully you’ll be in the June group.
Did you get your delivery? What was the total wait period from the day you ordered to the day you received delivery? I'm also getting mine from GR and so want to get an idea.
Thank you.