Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden drop in highway speed (not phantom)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has happened often under the most recent update... cruising along at 68 and as I get near an exit ramp the max speed suddenly goes to 35 and slows me down fast. Have to override it until the end of the corresponding on ramp on the other side. Another example of the software getting worse on me. 100% dangerous and startles me and the passengers.

• Disagree
Reactions: Abraham and GOVA
I just did a long drive along a straight empty stretch of highway and TWICE it slammed on the brakes on me for no reason. Nothing in front of me, no exits coming up, and thank God noone close to me behind me. I have zero trust in this vision only autopilot.

I just did a long drive along a straight empty stretch of highway and TWICE it slammed on the brakes on me for no reason. Nothing in front of me, no exits coming up, and thank God noone close to me behind me. I have zero trust in this vision only autopilot.
I recently put 3,000 hwy miles using auto Pilot 90% of the time and had many variations of the sudden brakes issue. 1) No cars around, no speed limit changes, the pavement changed from dark to very light, at that moment it immediately hit the breaks. 2) The AI often thinks 18 wheelers are crossing into my lane, but they are actually still in their lane. Breaks are applied or the warning signal sounds and Auto Pilot disengaged. 3) Often there is a very brief message displayed and easy to miss as the breaks are applied for no apparent reason. Then the message immediately disappears. The message says something about emergency vehicle detected. This happened a lot and especially at night. Almost any flashing light seemed to trigger it. Police car pulling over car on other side of street, pulsing lights, or passing rows of street lights.

The AI needs a lot of work still.

I just finished a 1,189 trip and had a couple of sudden drops in speed and had to take over. But I am kind of used to this from the system in my Honda which can have these issues too even with radar.

The good news is that the auto wipers only came on once during that trip and that was while it was raining!

My setting for autopilot is on current speed instead of speed limit. That way if the car picks up a slower speed limit for truck weigh stations or exit ramps then it won't affect me. After having that happen a few times, I changed the setting.

I’ve had this slow down happen a few times and I think I’m select areas the Tesla is picking up the exit ramp speed limit and slowing down accordingly. I’ve also had a large increase in slowing with emergency lights being blamed though none were in sight. Yesterday I drove right by a lot of road construction equipment lit up and the car didn’t blink lol.