Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden engine stop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to find out if anyone know why Tesla all the sudden loss power (accelerator unresponsive) while driving on the freeway? It is very concerning for me so I just want to find out if there is anyway that this problem can be prevented? Thank you.

The car thinks that it saw an obstruction. It is a somewhat common occurrence.
Since you are required to be in control, then make sure that the hands and feet are able to recover when this occurs. Generally just add the foot to the accelerator until the car's false recognition is complete.

He said "accelerator unresponsive." If the accelerator isn't doing anything, I would try turning off that safety feature they added to prevent you from running through your garage wall. However, since that feature should theoretically only work at low or no speed, I would also be contacting support/service to try to have logs reviewed.

Hard to tell from your question: are you referring to accelerator operation when you have cruise control or auto pilot running?

Or are you saying that neither cruise or auto-pilot is running, but your vehicle decelerates and won't respond to the pedal? (That is not one I have seen reported on these forums)

Hard to tell from your question: are you referring to accelerator operation when you have cruise control or auto pilot running?

Or are you saying that neither cruise or auto-pilot is running, but your vehicle decelerates and won't respond to the pedal? (That is not one I have seen reported on these forums)

Hi, This is not happening to me but what I saw a story here at the Forum and from my sister. The issue they said was because of faulty electrical harness? I just wondering if anyone know about this and if this issue can be prevented before it happens again?

I haven't personally experienced something like this in my X - I'd imagine it's extremely rare. If the issue is due to a faulty harness, there won't be much that can be done to prevent it aside from making sure regular maintenance is performed and any accidents or damage is taken care of promptly.

In general though, you won't be able to preemptively fix what you can't see or that isn't happening on a regular basis.

I haven't personally experienced something like this in my X - I'd imagine it's extremely rare. If the issue is due to a faulty harness, there won't be much that can be done to prevent it aside from making sure regular maintenance is performed and any accidents or damage is taken care of promptly.

In general though, you won't be able to preemptively fix what you can't see or that isn't happening on a regular basis.
Thank you

This sounds like a old problem with some loose battery connectors issue, Telsa did had a recall for this and fixed all effected units.

My Ford Escape you use to do this regularly. Every time you came off a long freeway off-ramp where the throttle was at idle for 4 secs or more it would die when you stepped on the gas to get through the intersection at the end of the off-ramp. 3 recalls (throttle body, pedal rheostat, transmission interlock were all replaced) and it still did when I sold the POS.