Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Steer By Wire Safety Concerns and Details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my garden shed resides a tool box/cart that was deformed by the front end of a 2003 Mercedes SL500. The toolbox/cart was originally parked in the front of the garage bay. One day, while pulling onto the bay, the notorious brake failure issue reared its ugly head. By the time my foot found the emergency brake, the toolbox had been rammed against the back garage wall. Not much damage to the car; toolbox took the brunt of it. You'd think they'd have designed in some kind of mechanical braking safety fallback, but nope. I lifted the car, put both feet down on the brake pedal and EVERY SINGLE WHEEL SPUN FREELY!

In my garden shed resides a tool box/cart that was deformed by the front end of a 2003 Mercedes SL500. The toolbox/cart was originally parked in the front of the garage bay. One day, while pulling onto the bay, the notorious brake failure issue reared its ugly head. By the time my foot found the emergency brake, the toolbox had been rammed against the back garage wall. Not much damage to the car; toolbox took the brunt of it. You'd think they'd have designed in some kind of mechanical braking safety fallback, but nope. I lifted the car, put both feet down on the brake pedal and EVERY SINGLE WHEEL SPUN FREELY!
Yikes!!

For the record, I brought this concern up before I knew of any of those Cybertruck trouble reports that some folks have posted links for. I'm sure they will get it working reliably eventually, but this is why I was not so keen on it starting out. I also realize FUDsters will now be hunting and overhyping this issue to try to flame EVs or Tesla or whatever they are trying to hate on.

Thread deleted

I think this is the one... just wow...
Welp I just went over to service today and asked them to give me the car back. They were not able to reproduce the issue (don't know what they did for 6 days "diagnosing" the issue) and did a test drive before giving it back to me... Weird experience but glad I finally got it back. Everyone at service was super friendly.
Wow. A critical system error, they weren't able to reproduce it. GL HF... If I were that customer, I'd be preparing to lemon law the truck, and I'm used to putting up with Tesla Service Center BS, I'm an X owner.

The maybe actual info is a bit earlier in the thread:

I had the same issue. If you go to the ALERTS you will see all the errors. I guarantee there were about 15+ errors because the item that is faulty is connected to numerous systems. However, if the vehicle is not with you, you can't check and see it. Drove it three times and had three breakdowns. You can do the reset. It will only buy you time until it happens again. Luckily for my when it happened I was going 25 mph, 41 mph and 13 mph.

My Cybertruck was towed in and they identified the problem. It is the "Bed and Backbone Harness - Harness - LV Backbone". That is what they call it. It is the Low Voltage (48v) Harness which many other systems reply on, so once that goes, everything else has to trigger an alert/error. The part was faulty and had to be special ordered from Austin.

What I don't know is if the replacement part the same part or a new & improved part. If it is a new & improved part, folks are going to be lining up for it or some sort of recall. If it is the same part, I think it is more of a hope that it was a rare occurrence as others driving 1000's of miles haven't had that issue. I think if one of the folks who gets the repair comes back for the same issue shortly there after, they probably have a problem on their hands. Only time will tell.

According to the service manual it is a 78 step process to get to the Low Voltage Harness and to put everything back. They actually have to remove a lot of stuff. My Cybertruck is close to being finished, so I will report back as I have updates.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
Could these failures cause a Recall of the Truck?
1710006737667.png