Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestion for Tesla: Open up orders for standard range battery during National Drive Electric Week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

commasign

TeslaAdviceBlog.com
Aug 31, 2013
Davis, CA
I've been volunteering and displaying EVs at Plug-in Day / National Drive Electric Week events since 2013. It's a fun and rewarding experience talking to folks who have never considered or even seen an EV up close. This year, there will be a flood of Model 3's on display at NDEW events throughout North America. For those of us that volunteer, it would be so great if we could give our spiel about the Model 3 and be able to finish with "and this car starts at $35k and you can order one now." Even if delivery is in "3-5 months", that would be in line with Elon's previous comments about production starting at the end of the year and ramping up in early 2019. Of course it would have been ever better to say "Starts at $25k after incentives (in California at least)", but that boat has sailed. But NDEW 2018 seems like a good opportunity for Tesla to generate a lot of new potential customers, many of which might visit the Tesla website for their very first time in search of the $35k version and end up ordering a higher configuration with earlier delivery and full tax credit.

Reactions: SageBrush
I don't think it'd look good for Tesla if they said "Yeah, you can order one now! It'll simply arrive sometime during 2019, but no promises!".

I think as long as they provide a reasonable estimate, e.g. 2-4 months like it is for current versions, people would be ok with it. Just something to put an end to the media narrative of “Tesla will never sell the $35k version”.

They’re going to have to start taking orders for the standard battery cars at some point in late Q3 or early Q4. All I’m suggesting is that NDEW would be a good time given the number of Model 3’s that will be on display along with all the owners who will be serving as Tesla sales agents for “free”.

Reactions: SageBrush