Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summary of Tampa to Spokane Trip - Success!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious. You say you had a metal trailer to carry your water, clubs, etc. Did hauling a trailer work well with the car? Also, did hauling cut down on the miles you got on a charge? Did the trailer drag electricity down? How close could you get to the charger with the trailer, or did you have to disconnect trailer before backing into charger? Just curious as I've never seen/heard of using a trailer with a Tesla.

Reactions: ScottFLA
I use a 15"x17"x1.5" driving pillow behind my back for long drives. That allows a little backward bow for my back, with my shoulder blades over the top of the pillow and resting on the regular seat back. Removing or repositioning the pillow allows different postures for stretching a bit. I try to put all of our 12.5k miles per year on the X with road trips. A little tough this year.

Assumption 70mph average....I don't know what your average speed was...
2500 miles / 4 days = 625 miles per day average
625 miles / 70 mph = about 9 hours per day driving time
Wow!
9 hours / 5 charging stops = 1.8 hours average driving between charging stops
Wow!
total driving time about 36 hours

Ooops! should have used 6 driving segments per day instead of using the 5 charging stops.
9 hours / 6 driving segments = 1.5 hours average driving time between stops

Awesome trip! MT pic is epic! You have the X exterior color and wheels we want!

I’m glad you don’t judge! My wife and I are doctors who don’t wear masks in public, we aren’t irresponsible, we just know how silly it is. The virus can easily slide through even N95’s. We don’t freak out about the flu, nor do we Covid. Life is full of risks! Glad you weren’t afraid to travel!

I'm curious. You say you had a metal trailer to carry your water, clubs, etc. Did hauling a trailer work well with the car? Also, did hauling cut down on the miles you got on a charge? Did the trailer drag electricity down? How close could you get to the charger with the trailer, or did you have to disconnect trailer before backing into charger? Just curious as I've never seen/heard of using a trailer with a Tesla.

IMG_0741.jpg

I use a 15"x17"x1.5" driving pillow behind my back for long drives. That allows a little backward bow for my back, with my shoulder blades over the top of the pillow and resting on the regular seat back. Removing or repositioning the pillow allows different postures for stretching a bit. I try to put all of our 12.5k miles per year on the X with road trips. A little tough this year.

I was thinking about getting one as well after this trip. Do you, or anyone, have an Amazon link to the one that works well for you and fits well with the MX?

Thank you for the wonderful write up. Hotels and COVID is our concern as well. CDA is a beautiful town. Looks like we'll do our trip in June from Anna Maria Island (SRQ) in my Model 3. Fun!

Thanks, and yes CDA is stunning and America's best kept secret. When friends come to visit many can't believe the beauty and are surprised they've never heard much about N. Idaho.

Awesome trip! MT pic is epic! You have the X exterior color and wheels we want!

I’m glad you don’t judge! My wife and I are doctors who don’t wear masks in public, we aren’t irresponsible, we just know how silly it is. The virus can easily slide through even N95’s. We don’t freak out about the flu, nor do we Covid. Life is full of risks! Glad you weren’t afraid to travel!

Thanks, and glad you liked the post. And I understand your point. The whole non-N95 mask thing really only works if everyone is using a mask. I still wear it in case I am an asymptomatic carrier, which would offer those around me protection, but it is starting to feel like folly with no one else doing it. I'm to the point where I am no longer wearing one outside around people, since transmission is evidently very low outdoors. I'll still wear one inside places a while longer, even if just for the psych benefit. But with you being a physician I can understand not going through those mental gymnastics .

Ooops! should have used 6 driving segments per day instead of using the 5 charging stops.
9 hours / 6 driving segments = 1.5 hours average driving time between stops

I should have kept a better log but your estimates seem close. We made great timing when you add up God knows how many combined hours of charging. Does Tesla have the ability to look at a detailed driving log per trip? I know some of you guys have the stats down and analyze battery consumption, etc. I just pretty much let the car tell me where to go and followed. Only twice did I get an alert that said something like: "To make it to your next destination, do not exceed 78 mph."

FWIW I have made quite long trips with Model X equipped with 20" and 22". IME, the 20s are far quieter and smoother.
I do not remember what tires were on each, just the sizes. I do know the original tires and been replaced on both of them. The 20" one I drove from Milan across Northern italy, to Slovenia (North to South) and Croatia. That car had more than 140,00km when i began the trip, but was quiet and stable, the Bioweapon Defense Mode really proved itself when passing through several heavy industrial areas dominated by mass quantities of heavy trucks.

Your trip was very interesting in COVID-19 times. From my sequestered base in, luckily, my very nice and spacious home, I am very jealous of your trip and destination. Thanks for posting.

Great points, and if I had anticipated taking such long trips I likely would have gone with the 20" wheels. Good luck and stay safe out there!