Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof problem SC says they have never heard of

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Occasionally after I hand wash my 2014 S85 the sunroof will not close complete or will close part way then open fully. I don't wash the car with the sunroof open, but I do open it to wipe down the perimeter seals. A few hours later, or a day, it works fine. Something appears to be getting wet from humidity or directly from water and shorting out. I was on the phone with the SC about my passenger windows that are no longer operating properly and fail to calibrate and mentioned this problem asking that the service folks take a look. I was told she had never heard of this problem and had no idea what the problem might be. Am I the only one with a car-wash sensitive sunroof?

Larry

Occasionally after I hand wash my 2014 S85 the sunroof will not close complete or will close part way then open fully. I don't wash the car with the sunroof open, but I do open it to wipe down the perimeter seals. A few hours later, or a day, it works fine. Something appears to be getting wet from humidity or directly from water and shorting out. I was on the phone with the SC about my passenger windows that are no longer operating properly and fail to calibrate and mentioned this problem asking that the service folks take a look. I was told she had never heard of this problem and had no idea what the problem might be. Am I the only one with a car-wash sensitive sunroof?

Larry
Did they see if water was leaking down the passenger side A pillar? That is where the fuse for the sunroof is located. I've seen water issues that cause transitory lack of function in certain systems of the car.

They're nuts. They're using standard third party pano roofs and that's one of the most common problems with a pano roof, especially the older style roof like your 2014 has. What's happening is the grease in the tracks has either broken down or is being displaced by water when you're washing which results in just enough added resistance that it's triggering the emergency stop and reversing the roof. This is a safety feature so you don't pop your head like a watermelon but it can also be triggered when there's a lubrication or mechanical issue that increases the power needed to close the roof.

• Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick