Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharge plugs falling out of mounts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had issues with the plugs not staying in their mounts?

I was pulling in to a Supercharging space and (no, I didn’t hit it) the charger came out of the mount and put a dent in my Tesla.

I’ve seen several incidents where an owner has had to try a couple of times, to get the charger to stay in its cradle.

I had exactly the same problem when trying to replace the plug into the cradle after supercharging this morning. It would not stay seated and twice slid out and hit my car. Fortunately it hit the plastic cover of the charge port and there was no damage. It took several more tries before it stayed put.

What seemed to be happening in my case is due to the cold (22F) the thick cable was stiff and somewhat twisted, causing the plug not to align with the cradle. Once i straightened it a bit, it did seat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dre78
I tweeted to Tesla’s suggestion box, in hopes of a possible improvement, but I havent investigated the other problem, which is 3 of the chargers of 12 are broken. Although there appears to be no damage, they will not even plug in to my car.
One Tesla owner speculated that because they tend to fall out, maybe they’re getting run over?
I reported the broken chargers to Tesla last week, and 5 days later, they’re still broken.

When we were in windy Wyoming at the Rawlins Supercharger in October, we notice nearly all of the Supercharger cables were on the ground. For a split second, I thought of vandalism but then I realized how windy it was and that the wind had dislodged all of the charging cables and they had fallen to the ground. They should probably think about redesigning things so that they work better in the cold and wind.

Reactions: Dre78