Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird home charger issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, will try to keep this brief. I have a gen 3 home charger that I’ve used for several months without issue. I am enrolled in off peak charging thru my electric company.

I tried charging today (Saturday, peak hours) and the car and charger stayed solid blue. I tried to manually activate charging thru the app since this is peak hours but it gave me an error “charging could not be started”. In the past I can manually start charging during peak hours and I just pay the higher rate than off peak. It would not allow me to charge at all during peak hours.

I then scanned notifications thru the car and got two error messages, one of them was CC_a001. This was related to a ground issue. I also got cc_a003, communication issue with charger. I needed to get somewhere so this was extremely inconvenient, luckily my wife’s car happened to be available. I’ve never had this issue trying to charge during peak hours before.

Later today I went to a supercharger to see if there was an issue with the car and it charged fine. I get home and tried charging again and it did in fact charge normally. It should still be peak hours but it was after 9pm which is the start of off peak during weekdays.

Has anyone else had a similar issue come up before with a home wall charger? If I didn’t have a second car available it would have been a big deal since I couldn’t charge at all.

In a situation like this, I would try the following:

1. Unplug the car and plug it back in to be sure that there is a good contact.
2. Flip the Wall Connector breaker off then back on to reset the unit.
3. Reboot the car's MCU by pressing in both scroll wheels until the display goes black.

The Wall Connector can be set up to restrict the hours that it will charge. But, since you stated that you've been able to manually start charging, this is unlikely to be the problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I flipped the breaker multiple times and did a hard reset of the car. Also made sure the charger itself was up to date on updates.

What was weird to me was that I got an error code about the grounding. When I logged into the wall charger on my computer it specifically said ground connected which was contradicting the cars cc_a001 error message.

I was curious if anyone has ran into something similar so I can prevent getting stuck with a dead car in the future. I’ll try again this coming weekend as well and can update if it keeps happening during peak hours.

I flipped the breaker multiple times and did a hard reset of the car. Also made sure the charger itself was up to date on updates.

What was weird to me was that I got an error code about the grounding. When I logged into the wall charger on my computer it specifically said ground connected which was contradicting the cars cc_a001 error message.

I was curious if anyone has ran into something similar so I can prevent getting stuck with a dead car in the future. I’ll try again this coming weekend as well and can update if it keeps happening during peak hours.
There are two possible ground connections here. The Wall Connector has a ground connection to the electrical supply and a ground connection with the car.