Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Destin, FL - US-98

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okaloosa County isn't showing any permit data I can find for this. Could be it's all falling under Destin, or could be something else going on. I searched by date, parcel, address, even searching for anything listed as being on 98 East - no joy.
In the city of Destin, only a Destin city building permit is required…which has already been approved for this Supercharger. Unincorporated parts of the county require a county permit.

Reactions: HollywoodSX
August 7th…still waiting for anything to happen.
IMG_0392_Original.jpeg

Reactions: Aero-D
Thanks for the updates on this. The Destin area sorely needs a SC. I wonder how many folks with EVs choose Panama City over Destin because it has a SC. You'd think that with Destin being a top-voted site it would have happened faster. Who knows what the hang-up is. My guess is that the S. Florida contractor has limited resources and is just overloaded building sites elsewhere...

Reactions: Texshark
I wonder how many folks with EVs choose Panama City over Destin because it has a SC.

I'm obviosuly just one example, but I visit Destin once a year (this year it will be twice a year). I can always charge up to near full in Crestview and have plenty of juice to get around town during the week and back to Crestview. Only one AirBnB has said no to wall charging, and there are a handfull of AirBnB's popping up with home charging now (first one we'll stay at later this year). The main issue with Destin not having a SC is that it's more difficult to explore other places outside of Destin once you get there. I've been hoping for an SC here for a while, but I have a feeling I'll only use it to skip Crestview on the way out of town.

We are new Tesla owners and just drove down to a friends home on Gulf Shore Dr. from Tennessee. Trip down was easy and was shocked to find no SC in Destin??? The smaller charges were full or didn’t work. We saw plenty of Teslas and just curious what the problem was?? Thanks for the thread please keep us posted. Thought of running back to Crestview but it’s an easy 30-35 minute drive back up there so kind of defeats the purpose. I can see why Destin was a highly voted spot. If I’m Tesla it would be built….Today.

I've recently heard Elon Musk talking about a supply chain shortage of large step-down transformers. This large component is typically installed by the utility company and most everything after that is Tesla equipment to convert what is typically 480VAC into DC for fast chargers. So without the installation of the transformer, progress of the SC site would pretty much be at a standstill. This is just speculation on my part, as a possible cause of the delay in progress at the Destin site. This is typically a 1000KVA transformer that converts 7.2KV primary -> 480V secondary which is what Tesla needs to work with its equipment. Most of the Tesla equipment is prefabricated and can be installed very quickly. If interested, here is a link to an informative video of a guy describing a typical prefabricated site layout.

Reactions: Steveat850
I've recently heard Elon Musk talking about a supply chain shortage of large step-down transformers. This large component is typically installed by the utility company and most everything after that is Tesla equipment to convert what is typically 480VAC into DC for fast chargers. So without the installation of the transformer, progress of the SC site would pretty much be at a standstill. This is just speculation on my part, as a possible cause of the delay in progress at the Destin site. This is typically a 1000KVA transformer that converts 7.2KV primary -> 480V secondary which is what Tesla needs to work with its equipment. Most of the Tesla equipment is prefabricated and can be installed very quickly. If interested, here is a link to an informative video of a guy describing a typical prefabricated site layout.
I talked with a contact at Florida Power and Light…he said large pad mounted transformers are taking anywhere from 12-18 months to procure. So this indeed may be the reason the construction is not happening quickly.