Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Discount Time Calculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the introduction of time-based pricing, does anybody know whether the supercharger determines the price based on the time when you start charging or when you're done with charging?

Let's say the price is $0.21/kWh between 7pm to 10am, and $0.38/kWh between 10am to 7pm. If my charging starts at 9:45am and ends at 10:15am, which pricing will be used?

With the introduction of time-based pricing, does anybody know whether the supercharger determines the price based on the time when you start charging or when you're done with charging?

Let's say the price is $0.21/kWh between 7pm to 10am, and $0.38/kWh between 10am to 7pm. If my charging starts at 9:45am and ends at 10:15am, which pricing will be used?
Pretty sure it charges minute by minute...during charging i see the amount paid go up etc...with a final actual charge to your card at end.

Upvote 0
I was charging on the free 4th weekend, which ended each day at noon, and the entire Goleta Supercharger was full and I was at 78% when the noon hour struck. Immediately the field on the display that shows how much your charge session was jumped from $0.00 to $16.87

I freaked, and posted here on related threads about that happening. Fortunately, that night I was looking at my account and I was not billed for that charge session after all.

The point being that it could be the last rate covers the total of the charge time, I would have been very upset if it had been what it looked like. I have a friend who claims that he often makes it to the supercharger near his house (the only place he can charge) and as long as he starts charging before noon the entire charge session is at the off-peak rate.

Upvote 0