Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Feasability for Grayling, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is possibly a pointless question, because it's not like I expect a Tesla rep to come in and comment on Tesla's plans for Supercharger placement, but I was wondering what the community thought of the potential for a Supercharger placement.

Currently, this is the map of supercharger locations in the lower peninsula of Michigan

1627397847747.png

I have added a circle indicating where Grayling, MI is located. Grayling is in an interesting placement as it's the "intersection" of I-75, US-127, and M-72, which makes it a great candidate for a Supercharger.

The caveat to that is that if one is traveling north on I-75, once you get off the interstate in Grayling, there's not an entrance back to the interstate to continue your drive (if that's your route), without traveling a few miles north to another interstate entrance.

The caveat to that caveat however, is that (and this is just anecdotal) many trips that I have personally taken leave the interstate in Grayling to then travel to our final destination (Kalkaska, Bellaire, etc). With no Supercharger in Grayling, it often means that I'd need to go further north (out of my way) to Gaylord in order to reach my destination with a decent enough charge to make it back to my origin (or another supercharger after leaving my destination).

Grayling would also be optimal as currently it's a fairly large stretch from Bay City to Gaylord if one is traveling further north. Even despite the annoyance having a small jaunt to re-enter the interstate when continuing north in Grayling, I think it would be beneficial.

I am curious to hear thoughts from the community and other Michiganders.

This is possibly a pointless question, because it's not like I expect a Tesla rep to come in and comment on Tesla's plans for Supercharger placement, but I was wondering what the community thought of the potential for a Supercharger placement.

Currently, this is the map of supercharger locations in the lower peninsula of Michigan

View attachment 688696

I have added a circle indicating where Grayling, MI is located. Grayling is in an interesting placement as it's the "intersection" of I-75, US-127, and M-72, which makes it a great candidate for a Supercharger.

The caveat to that is that if one is traveling north on I-75, once you get off the interstate in Grayling, there's not an entrance back to the interstate to continue your drive (if that's your route), without traveling a few miles north to another interstate entrance.

The caveat to that caveat however, is that (and this is just anecdotal) many trips that I have personally taken leave the interstate in Grayling to then travel to our final destination (Kalkaska, Bellaire, etc). With no Supercharger in Grayling, it often means that I'd need to go further north (out of my way) to Gaylord in order to reach my destination with a decent enough charge to make it back to my origin (or another supercharger after leaving my destination).

Grayling would also be optimal as currently it's a fairly large stretch from Bay City to Gaylord if one is traveling further north. Even despite the annoyance having a small jaunt to re-enter the interstate when continuing north in Grayling, I think it would be beneficial.

I am curious to hear thoughts from the community and other Michiganders.

These needs seem to suit you. That is where destination charging comes in or putting charging in your destination of a friend or family member. I think I now require all my friends/family to have Nema 14-50's in the garage. ;)

Superchargers will come, but there is plenty of destination charging in the area you requested. I doubt(now) Tesla will put a one way only supercharger in. While not truly one way. It isn't in my mind high on the list. If one plans on traveling north beyond Gaylord. Stop there and charge. Filling in every hole doesn't work unless you have filled out the outlying areas.

Alpena would be nice, along with the thumb. From someone who is in Michigan. I think we have it pretty nice, and improving in the UP as well. I really do suggest to people to talk to business owners that they have relationships with. I have helped many be added to the destination charger program.

I did acknowledge that the example in my post was anecdotal, but I would be willing to put some money on the line that it has applications outside of my own. That area is a major crossroads and there's lots of areas that are accessed via the Grayling exit. I also disagree that there's plenty of destination charging in the area.

Looking at plugshare (and even including Wall chargers which is pretty low-hanging fruit) the area is pretty bare (especially to the east of Grayling).

1627413496035.png

Like I said, I don't expect much to come of this, it was just a conversation starter. I really appreciate your thoughts though.

Reactions: TreeStryder
There are currently 2 non-Tesla DC fast charging options being installed in Grayling. There are 3 Tritium units being installed between E Michigan Ave and Ottawa St on M72/75BL in town by Red E Charge (Red E Charge) and an unknown number from an unknown company (I didn’t have time to stop and inspect) at the Family Fare south of town. If you’re able to pick up a CHAdeMO adapter, you’ll be all set!

There are currently 2 non-Tesla DC fast charging options being installed in Grayling. There are 3 Tritium units being installed between E Michigan Ave and Ottawa St on M72/75BL in town by Red E Charge (Red E Charge) and an unknown number from an unknown company (I didn’t have time to stop and inspect) at the Family Fare south of town. If you’re able to pick up a CHAdeMO adapter, you’ll be all set!
That's interesting. Admittedly I do not have a CHAdeMO adapter, but it seems like it's going downhill in terms of adoption: Electrify America Will Begin to phase out CHAdeMO In 2022

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart
That's interesting. Admittedly I do not have a CHAdeMO adapter, but it seems like it's going downhill in terms of adoption: Electrify America Will Begin to phase out CHAdeMO In 2022
Sure thing, but at least the existing infrastructure (and other companies like ChargePoint) will probably continue to support it (I didn’t see anything explicit about removing it from existing deployments). This should be an adequate stop gap until the long speculated CCS adapter becomes available.

Which is what I am saying. For the Bad Axe folks wonderful. Is it perfect for those in Harbor Beach or Caseville? No, but it fills in the thumb for anyone traveling in the general area. Charge up and drive around for a couple days. Charge go home. There isn't going to be one until there is one. When there is jump for joy. Till then maybe help expand the network.

Fill in the left and forgotten first. For example. There isn't a supercharger for a 160 miles on a highly traveled route to Glacier National Park that sees 3.5 million visitors a year. People chew wires to find electricity out there.

For people wanting to wager on Grayling. Sure set some terms to a local food bank in Grayling. I made a bet that still stands for another year or so about US2 in Montana not getting a charger which involves me drinking a beer from a boot. Mayor up in Shelby is a less than nice name fighting it.

Yet I still say Alpena if Meijer still likes us. Which there happens to be one. I think I heard recently the hottest spot for housing market was that neck of the woods(Alpena to Mackinaw).

As it turns out, it would appear that the chargers being installed at the Family Fare in Grayling are part of the Rivian network.

Attachments

• 1185BCD5-A940-407F-9A8F-3076E757BA48.jpeg
    1185BCD5-A940-407F-9A8F-3076E757BA48.jpeg
    497.5 KB · Views: 175
For anyone who is interested. I visited Grayling over the 4th of July. Used a CCS to Tesla adapter on the red charge station twice. It worked well, but only 47kW. The Rivian chargers were still under construction. We were towing with the Y and the jump from bay city to Grayling was very tight. Rolled in with 3% after driving 58mph on the highway

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3, GSP and mrau