Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Nakusp, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

While searching for permits along the BC-97, I ran by a document from the village of Nakusp authorizing the installation of 8 V3 Superchargers at the Nakusp Community Complex and Arena. Unlike Cache Creek, Nakusp is on Tesla’s planned locations for 2020. Good enough for a blue dot, thoughts?

Documents:

http://nakusp.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Combined-Agenda-August-26-2019-optimized.pdf (Tesla starts at pg. 50)
http://www.valleyvoice.ca/_PDF_2016/ValleyVoice190912web.pdf (Tesla at middle of pg. 8, full quote below)

Tesla representatives are wanting to install eight super charging stations in Nakusp and were eyeing the parking area by the beach as the ideal spot. However, the Village is considering three locations near the arena: two in the arena parking lot and one where the recycling bins used to be, between the arena parking lot and the seniors’ hall. The deal is, Tesla will install eight stations or none, with no cost to the Village, but no revenue to them either. Tesla stations are not compatible with other vehicles, but the company said they would be open to installing an additional four generic stalls which could generate revenue for the Village. Council approved Tesla’s request to assess the feasibility of installing an eight-stall supercharger station in the vicinity of the arena.

Great find and infill location. It looks like Tesla is finally ramping up it’s BC network. I still find it hard to believe they are putting eight stalls in Nakusp but still have four stall installations on higher travelled routes (Revelstoke, Golden).

Nakusp, BC

Along National Highways: None
Along Provincial Highways (<=8km): BC-6

BC-6

To: BC-97 Vernon, BC - 194.7 km
Diversion: 4.2 km/1.4km*

To: Revelstoke (BC-6, BC-23) - 103.3km

Nakusp, BC is also at the south end of BC-23, but the Supercharger is south of the end of it.
Google Maps suggests BC-23 runs through Nakusp downtown, and has Churchill Road part of BC-6, but a BC government landmark inventory document says BC-23 it starts at the intersection with BC-6 north of the town and that Churchill Road is not BC-6.

The Nakusp, BC location on Supercharge.info is only a 1.4km diversion off BC-6 itself, but BC-6 loops at Nakusp, BC so a traveler along BC-6 who didn't want to stop in Nakusp would cut off the loop by taking Churchill, Road, and the diversion would be 4.2km.

But, it looks like it would be a nice place to stop, and if you're driving that route, what's the rush?

Great find and infill location. It looks like Tesla is finally ramping up it’s BC network. I still find it hard to believe they are putting eight stalls in Nakusp but still have four stall installations on higher travelled routes (Revelstoke, Golden).

I'll appreciate the Nakusp location on my way to Revy from Nelson for sure. Also just because I like going to Nakusp for the hotsprings and the biking. I do find it crazy that Revy in particular only has 4 stalls - I've been there several times and it is often 3/4 or 4/4! Upgrading those two with 250kW stalls would be fantastic.

Reactions: johnny_snow
Nakusp, BC

Along National Highways: None
Along Provincial Highways (<=8km): BC-6

BC-6

To: BC-97 Vernon, BC - 194.7 km
Diversion: 4.2 km/1.4km*

To: Revelstoke (BC-6, BC-23) - 103.3km

Nakusp, BC is also at the south end of BC-23, but the Supercharger is south of the end of it.
Google Maps suggests BC-23 runs through Nakusp downtown, and has Churchill Road part of BC-6, but a BC government landmark inventory document says BC-23 it starts at the intersection with BC-6 north of the town and that Churchill Road is not BC-6.

The Nakusp, BC location on Supercharge.info is only a 1.4km diversion off BC-6 itself, but BC-6 loops at Nakusp, BC so a traveler along BC-6 who didn't want to stop in Nakusp would cut off the loop by taking Churchill, Road, and the diversion would be 4.2km.

But, it looks like it would be a nice place to stop, and if you're driving that route, what's the rush?

The spot they are speaking about in the article really is only a minor diversion from the "highway" - the only real downside I would say is that there aren't really any services in that location in the evenings or on a Sunday, so stop for your pee and beverage before you start charging :)

I went through Nakusp last weekend - unfortunately there is no sign of activity on this charger. I would have been quite happy for it to be there - I had to have a 90% charge on either end in order to make it in the pouring rain towing a small utility trailer (would have been roughly the same with my roof box & bikes on the back). A charger in Nakusp would lend more flexibility and likely improve overall charging speed (since I could just charge to 60% or so each spot and take advantage of max charging speeds!)

While searching for permits along the BC-97, I ran by a document from the village of Nakusp authorizing the installation of 8 V3 Superchargers at the Nakusp Community Complex and Arena. Unlike Cache Creek, Nakusp is on Tesla’s planned locations for 2020. Good enough for a blue dot, thoughts?

Documents:

http://nakusp.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Combined-Agenda-August-26-2019-optimized.pdf (Tesla starts at pg. 50)
http://www.valleyvoice.ca/_PDF_2016/ValleyVoice190912web.pdf (Tesla at middle of pg. 8, full quote below)

Tesla representatives are wanting to install eight super charging stations in Nakusp and were eyeing the parking area by the beach as the ideal spot. However, the Village is considering three locations near the arena: two in the arena parking lot and one where the recycling bins used to be, between the arena parking lot and the seniors’ hall. The deal is, Tesla will install eight stations or none, with no cost to the Village, but no revenue to them either. Tesla stations are not compatible with other vehicles, but the company said they would be open to installing an additional four generic stalls which could generate revenue for the Village. Council approved Tesla’s request to assess the feasibility of installing an eight-stall supercharger station in the vicinity of the arena.

Anyone have an update for this? Did the Village ever select a location for Superchargers? Tesla website is showing a proposed Target opening in Q2 2022. Tesla Superchargers in Canada, Nakusp, BC

Nakusp Council is still waiting to hear from Tesla. There has been no communication since the initial approval. Hopefully this supercharger gets built soon.
After my post yesterday I decided to contact the village through a "Contact Us" link on their website; I received a reply indicating that they thought Tesla ended up partnering with a private entity, but that they weren't sure of timelines.

After my post yesterday I decided to contact the village through a "Contact Us" link on their website; I received a reply indicating that they thought Tesla ended up partnering with a private entity, but that they weren't sure of timelines.
This is what I heard as well when I was in touch with an EV owner in the area a few months ago. It was a gas station that Tesla was in communication with, but those were unconfirmed reports at the time.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Any issues driving from Vernon to kimberly(550 km) was going to spend one or two nights in Nakusp and seems there are only 2 level 2 chargers in town.

Are they busy level 2 stations? I noticed a level 3 ccs, assuming This alleviates a lot of the pressure off the level twos.

Last edited: