Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Stuarts Draft, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stuarts Draft, VA

Host Type: Gas Station
Host: Sheetz
Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-340
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

US-340

From: Start (US-11 northeast of Greenville, VA) - 7.2 miles
To: Frederick - Ballenger Creek Pike, MD - 149.5 miles (Permit)
Diversion: 0.1 miles
To: End (US-15/US-40 Frederick, MD) - 148.8 miles

Looking like the first Supercharger on US-340 to open.

Provides a Supercharger on the I-64 route from I-81/I-64 to the southern end of the Shenandoah National Park.

While quite usefully on about a 15- mile long hypotenuse from South I-81 to East I-64, it’s oddly only 12 miles from the Staunton, VA superchargers, which to my knowledge, are only lightly used.

IMHO it’s Zion Crossroads, VA, between Charlottesville, and Richmond, VA that really needs a Tesla Supercharger at it’s Sheetz to fill that annoying I-64 gap.

Last edited:
While quite usefully on about a 15- mile long hypotenuse from South I-81 to East I-64, it’s oddly only 12 miles from the Staunton, VA superchargers, which to my knowledge, are only lightly used.

IMHO it’s Zion Crossroads, VA, between Charlottesville, and Richmond, VA that really needs a Tesla Supercharger at it’s Sheetz to fill that annoying I-64 gap.
Zion Crossroads Sheetz already has an EA station. The Wawa at 288/64 and the Dairy Queen at Gum Spring would also be good locations.

IMG_3345.jpeg

They were working on the feeder line today. No transformer in sight.

West End of Richmond really needs one to. Plenty of options north, east, and south of Richmond, none west. Driving to Richmond from Harrisonburg and back requires a detour to Route 29 and back, and they are V2. Not sure why they put a new V3 up by the CHO airport, along 64 would have been a smarter option, especially since the Staunton charger is 120kw.

West End of Richmond really needs one to. Plenty of options north, east, and south of Richmond, none west. Driving to Richmond from Harrisonburg and back requires a detour to Route 29 and back, and they are V2. Not sure why they put a new V3 up by the CHO airport, along 64 would have been a smarter option, especially since the Staunton charger is 120kw.
Yea, it's a bit surprising that there still isn't a Supercharger on I-64 between the "Richmond, VA" one on the east side of the city all the way until Raphine, VA, 126 miles away. There are several great candidate locations at Wawas on the west side of the city, near Short Pump, Westchester, and Woodlake. A huge new Wawa was just built on West Broad street, but no Superchargers there yet, hopefully they will be added later. Considering that the Tesla sales and service center is on the west side of town, just off I-64, you'd think they'd prioritize one for people driving in from the western areas.

Prior to working at Tesla, Rebecca Tinucci was founder and CEO of a EV charging company based in Richmond, for 8 years. Come on Rebecca, you know the area, hook us up with some Supercharger locations! :)

But, I digress...

Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 8.32.31 AM.png

One positive is that the Mechanicsville and Glenn Allen chargers are both right off 295 which for those not familiar with the area is how you’d bypass the abysmal 95/64 interchange downtown, but absolutely, they need to build out I-64. It’s obvious that Tesla is focusing outside of NoVA on I-95, I-81, and the otherwise charging neglected Rt 58. But 64 desperately needs more chargers between Waynesboro and Williamsburg, (Bucees won’t be open for a few years) plus the major highways Rt 60 and Rt 360 really need chargers out around 288 too, at least.

One of the stands here appears to be damaged. Oops! Otherwise I charged twice here today on 3 different stands and never got above 100kw. Ugh. Hopefully just a bad day for this Supercharger. Otherwise the Sheetz was clean, food was good, and staff friendly. Thankful for this site!

Attachments

• IMG_0601.jpeg
    IMG_0601.jpeg
    598.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0599.jpeg
    IMG_0599.jpeg
    663.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0600.jpeg
    IMG_0600.jpeg
    625.3 KB · Views: 13