Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Syracuse, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They typically leave some of the stalls "unbuttoned", as they bring in a third-party inspector (a German company, I believe, but I can't recall the name), along with a Tesla rep and vehicles to test with. Depending on how bad the paving situation is, they might do that after the station is live...but I doubt they would do so if it renders all of the stalls unusable.

Yes, and also the curb near the enclosure need to be re-poured..
I am passing this charger on Friday on my way from NJ to Barrie, ON, so only very slim chance it will be operational by then.

So we left from Niagara Falls fully charged and made it to Utica with 2 miles left (210miles trip). It was cold ~34degF with snow flurries. Fine tuned range with speed and amount of heat. 64mph and 66degF kept the warning at "1% left"
P85 on 21inch DW's with air suspension and 5 passengers

Looks like they are finally replacing the curb!

VATIofM.jpg

So we left from Niagara Falls fully charged and made it to Utica with 2 miles left (210miles trip). It was cold ~34degF with snow flurries. Fine tuned range with speed and amount of heat. 64mph and 66degF kept the warning at "1% left"
P85 on 21inch DW's with air suspension and 5 passengers

Holy Cow. I sure hope you were in a 60. If that is all the miles an 85 will get at 65mph, I might re-consider my plans for a Model S.

Holy Cow. I sure hope you were in a 60. If that is all the miles an 85 will get at 65mph, I might re-consider my plans for a Model S.

Check entry #14 in this thread for my account of a similar trip. I didn't have the Nav feature with percentages at the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like they are finally replacing the curb!

VATIofM.jpg
And the last pedestal is complete.

If you the mean 8th charger at the end, it hasn't been finished, it's just hidden by that green JD Excavator on the right. But as someone else mentioned, that might have been done on purpose.

Using heat is a killer, no way around that. Even my LEAF with the heat pump still sees a major drop in range. That said, the heat set to 66F does sound warm (I always keep it on 60F IF I have to use the heat, would go lower if the system would let me), but heaving a cold weather package does help.

Last edited:

The key factor in this case was the temperature. At 34F, I've noticed I pay about a 25%-30% premium--that is, going 100 miles took 125-130 miles of range. Back in January, when temps were regularly below 0F, it was costing me almost a 50% premium. However, this past weekend when temps were in the 50s, I was losing only about 6%. Since you're in Georgia, I don't think you'll see much loss unless you head significantly north in the wintertime.

The key factor in this case was the temperature. At 34F, I've noticed I pay about a 25%-30% premium--that is, going 100 miles took 125-130 miles of range. Back in January, when temps were regularly below 0F, it was costing me almost a 50% premium. However, this past weekend when temps were in the 50s, I was losing only about 6%. Since you're in Georgia, I don't think you'll see much loss unless you head significantly north in the wintertime.

We'll have to start a new thread, if one doesn't exist already (since people subscribe to this thread just for Syracuse updates), but I would like to hear more about this as well, since 50% sounds way too high for a Model S, unless you have your heater set to 'insane/hell'.

We'll have to start a new thread, if one doesn't exist already (since people subscribe to this thread just for Syracuse updates), but I would like to hear more about this as well, since 50% sounds way too high for a Model S, unless you have your heater set to 'insane/hell'.

Last Saturday we drove back from the Tesla Cleveland Service Center after my S85 got its' 12 month routine service. The car was fully charged at their Supercharger which is indoors so it was fully warmed. Started with 266 miles showing. Temperature was around 40F and we were going 70-75mph. 194 miles later pulled into my garage with 54 miles left on the battery. Temp in car was 66F, range mode was engaged. Energy usage was 314 Wh/mi. Not too shabby. I think that prewarming the battery is essential during cold weather to maximize range. I will typically charge up the battery from 80% to whatever I think I need for the trip. Heating the interior will engage the battery heater only if Range Mode is OFF.
Any reasonable chance that Syracuse will be energized by Friday? If so, I'll juice up on the way to Binghamton. If not, I'll get off the I-90 at exit 41 and head down to Binghamton to cut 20 miles off the trip.

Honestly, I don't see that happening based on what I've heard, and the upcoming weather.

But I'll keep checking (I'll try to add Thursday afternoon to my schedule).

Feel free to remind me if you don't hear from me.

Last edited:
Check out the cold weather driving site done by Doug. It is very informative and does outline what effect cold weather has on range.

Honestly, I don't see that happening based on what I've heard, and the upcoming weather.

But I'll keep checking (I'll try to add Thursday afternoon to my schedule).

Feel free to remind me if you don't hear from me.

Thanks. We will be leaving after 2:30PM on Friday so the crew will also have all day Friday to do their magic. I agree it's unlikely but thanks for your help.